Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 18, 2005, 6:21 PM   #1

What has NickTrop started ? I did some experimental shots with my 35mm film SLR and the FZ1v2 (set to in camera Black & White setting) The film was Ilford XP2 (C41 process) The photos were taken at the same time & place. I would love to here any comments about the comparison between each of the subjects shown here. Nothing artistic mind you , just an experiment between film & digital.
The first image is the film. The second is digital.

This is the State Capitol Building in Austin, TX.

This one is a depth of field test. Film 1st then Digital.

This last one is a detail shot. Film then Digital.

What do you think ? Is film worth the extra effort ?
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2005, 7:06 PM   #2

Charles thats good work not a simple task

I prefer all the film shots
1. the building is realistic in the mid tones (film)
2. the door and knob are more realistic (film)
3. the iron fence well the DOP and Bokeh are just right with film the digital too much DOP

perhaps there are better ways to achieve B&W in digital ie color > to B&W in PP with PS
plugin or action.

Digital looks a bit washed out and clinical.

btw did you scan the film negatives or prints ???

John
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:22 PM   #3

Got to say the B&W film looks much better than the digital esp with the 1st building. Did you take the exposure down -2/3 to -1 EVF when u took the shot? The film shots seem to have more detail and contrast to them as well.

I love the DOF on the fence - it just looks fabulous. While we all know that there is too much DOF in the digicams - now wheres that 4/3 CCD that Pana should pop into my FZ10 ?:?:-)

I haven;t shot in B&W - I usualy take the pict in colour and use pshop to convert the image. Its a few additional sets but I think the results are worth it and it allows me to decide whether the image looks better in colour or B&W.

HarjTT

PS

If you didnt mind I decided to just apply a little contrast and USM on 2 of the pictures.

Here's the doors - just contrast +16 and USM 55%

Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:32 PM   #4

State capital building - contrast +16 , brightness -4.
Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 8:46 PM   #5

Hi and thanks for your comments fellas !John, the store where I had the film developed will scan the negs to a CD for a small fee. I don't own a scanner so it seemed a good choice. There are several more shots of various subjects that I did for this test. I must agree, there is something more complex about the film pics.HarjTT, I think you are correct, the digital shots would look much better post processed in PhotoShop. The in camera B & W setting justĀ* does not cut it !The EV on the FZ1v2 was set to -1/3. That is where I usually keep it for day time shooting.The DOF test shot was done with my 50mm lens at f2. The FZ was set as close to the same setting as I could muster at f2.8. The pana's lens won't really indicate the focal length in use.I have enrolled in a class in B & W film photography here at the University of Texas to gain some in depth knowledge on this subject. The bug has bitten me I'm afraid...........Charles
Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:07 PM   #6

Film is going to obviously be better. The door knob one is the clear film winner. Had the ev been set lower on the fz1, the building would have been a closer matchup. The fence one really isn't comparable. You could have got the shallow dof with the fz1 in macro mode though I doubt the bokay would have been as nearly as nice as the film. Thanks for the post.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:19 PM   #7

HarjTT,
Thanks that does look better.

Fred,
Thanks for pointing that out, I had not thought of using macro.

Here are two more, same look though.

The second one is the FZ1.

Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:53 PM   #8

Austintatious wrote:
#1 image is nice Charles its got a warmth about it like sepia almost.

#2 has a clinical coldnest to it.... its also a bit overexposed.

may I suggest -2/3 instead of -1/3 or even -1ev

Now I recall Nick when he did B&W on the Fz1 he did colour to B&W and and used some plugins in PS to either add mild film grain and or or a warmth like film.

I doo like #1 tho'

Actually picassa (free) does nice color to B&W as well as a few options too.

I think I need to set my FZ1 to B&W an go shoot something
B&W will NEVER go away thats for sure

Cheers

John

Quote:
HarjTT,
Thanks that does look better.

Fred,
Thanks for pointing that out, I had not thought of using macro.

Here are two more, same look though.

The second one is the FZ1.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 11:45 PM   #9

Sorry to be the contrary guy in this, but.....

I downloaded the dome pics and the doorknob pics. First thing i noticed is that the digital dome pic is smaller than the film when I transfered them to a white background (the digital having less pixels would not be as sharp) also, your posted pics have different contrast and brightness values to be a legitimate side by side comparisons. The reverse is true of the door knob, where the digital pic is bigger, So......

I equalized the vertical pixels of the film "dome" down to equal the digital "dome" and I equalized the digital "doorknob" down to equal the film "doorknob" and adjusted the brightness and contrast of the digital pictures to come as close as I could to the film pictures. Here are the side by side results. As you can see the difference is notthat dramatic. If the digital pictures were taken with a good DSLR whose sensor can capture a wider range of gray-scale, the gap would be verrrry small. That's just one man's opinion and nothing more.
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 5:33 AM   #10

Thanks for a great comparison, they show exactly the down side of small sensor digitals. 1, DOF - the fence photo is soooooooo much nicer with the film. 2, Dynamic range - you can see that the film captures more detail in the darker areas.
Still digital is pretty close, but for me I would really like to be able to use DOF effects more.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote