Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:28 AM   #1

I'm considering buying a set of these with 55mm thread so they will fit into the sun hood collar. I've used these before with an SLR, will they work with a digital camera? Can the camera focus with these attached and I get a realistic view of the subject matter through the LCD? Thanks
ozbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:56 AM   #2

I don't think youd have any problems although fred aka fmoore is the main man to ask as he's also got an FZ5 + close up lenses.

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:11 AM   #3

Hi ozbrit,

I have tested several lenses with the FZ5, just see:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7
You get a realistic view with your viewfinder (and the LCD).
Focussing range is sometimes very small, just change the distance to the object.
If you like the subject start using achromats (nikon 3T,4T or others).
My favourite lenses are the olympus MCON40 (55mm)) and the olympus alife size (49mm). These are very expensive, but ebay may help......
I fix the focus (this is faster), but others like Cerambyx use autofocus and get perfect results!
So start playing and post your results!
sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:34 AM   #4

The +1, +2, +4 diopter close-up sets usually consist of single element lens that give sharp focus at the center but softness towards the edges, particularlywith the higher diopters. Dual element (achromatic) lens such as the +3 diopter nikon 4t or 6t 'flatten' the image to give good focus to the edges.

Sets that work with slr will work just as well with the fz5. Auto focus is no problem. If you were happy with a set with the slr you will also be happy with the fz5. If you get a chance to pick up a dual element, though, that would be the better choice.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:04 PM   #5

Thanks very much for your assistance. I bought the Konica Minolta Z3 which had macro and super macro, as I do a fair bit of close up work with my pet salamanders this was handy. However other aspects of the Z3 I didnt like. Isoldthe Z3on ebay and bought the FZ5 Which I really like apart from the poor macro facility.
ozbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:48 PM   #6

ozbrit wrote:
Quote:
FZ5 Which I really like apart from the poor macro facility.
The fz series in general has poor macro capability but with the addition of a close-up lens (even just a +1 diopter) it becomes an excellent macro machine. Without a close-up lens, the fz does fairly well at full wide where you can focus as close as 1-2cm away. Of course, that's way too close if your concernedabout camerashadow - not to mention bee stings and snake bites. As zoom is increased so is the focus distance which pretty much negates the macro functionality at higher zooms. At 12x the focus distance is 2m (6ft) which is absurd. The fz4/5 is unique in that it hasthe tele-macro feature that brings the focus distance back to 1m at 12x zoom. This is a pretty useful feature particularly when used with a teleconverter. (I believe the fz3 also has this feature but they are the only ones.)

Fortunately, the simple addition of a close-up lens (even just a +1 diopter) changes this so that the focus distance is constant through the zoom. For instance, attaching a +3 diopter lens such as the nikon 4t will give you a focus (or working) distance of about 12" through the zoom. Furthermore, you can use A prioity and set the aperture to f8 for maximum dof.

So, the macro functionality of the fz5 is limited but can easily be overcome by using a close-up lens. With that, the fz5 has excellent macro machine.

Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:40 AM   #7

A question relating to a 55mm thread size such as the FZ5 and FZ30, what would the preferable method of closeup lens:

FZ ===> 55 - 52mm step-down ===> Nikon 3T or 4T

or

FZ ===> 55 - 62mm step-up===> Nikon 5T or 6T

thanks,
Nigel

ps - oh man, I can't wait to do amazing macro shots on my new FZ30!!
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:11 AM   #8

The diameter of the fz5 lens is about 35mm. Thus, a 52mm macro lens such as the nikon 4t is plenty big enough to not cause any vignetting. If the diameter of the fz30 is substantially larger (say 46mm +), the 62mm nikon 6t might be the better choice to stay away from vignetting. I haven't heard that his is the case.