Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:52 AM   #1

I am loving this camera! I got lucky and was able to shoot some nice shots of a couple of hawks. Finally, I have enough zoom to bring home some of the shots I could never get with my old (but still good in it's own right) 7i. I can only get better as I get more familiar with it. These are completely untouched, except for resizing. Best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:55 AM   #2

oh, of course they are cropped, but that's it.
Attached Images

Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:11 AM   #3

Very nice photos.. the FZ30 is a very special camera. Its not that another FZ camera could not have gotten those shots but the FZ30 makes it easy.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:23 AM   #4

Nice shots and I'm happy to see a bird of prey anyday of the week. How do you find the autofocusing on the cam or were you using the manual when taking those picts ? Did you shoot just at 12x optical?

Once a few people have the FZ30 for a little while and have worked out how best to set the camera up I think we'll be seeing some pretty good stuff.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 3:31 PM   #5

These shots were absolutely all auto and on 12X at 8 MP. I used the "scenes" mode, and chose sports, which I thought would give me a good chance to get some decent shots, keeping in mind I had (on and off) sunny, bright day. I know the one shot was against the cloudy sky, but just at that moment the sun had gone behind some light cloud, and the bird was flying in front of the cloudiest portion of sky when I hit the shutter. I did try some shots stepped down to 5MP's which upped the zoom considerably...a nice touch from Panasonic...but the 12X at 8MP shots just seemed to be the nicest of the shoot this time. I also got V E R Y lucky when one of these gorgeous birds let me get within 35 feet or so, and I actually slipped in a few manual focus shots, experimenting with different settings. Unfortunately I could not sneak around to the other side of him and those shots were interesting but not remarkable only because the sun was almost directly behind him as he perched on top of a telephone pole. Buteven with the less than perfect lighting, and bad angle, it was fun to experiment with such a great looking bird as a "model". I am V E R Y impressed with the speed this camera focuses at. I know manual focus for me in this situation was next to impossible, as the bird was flying most of the time and the range was constantly changing.I am really having fun with the FZ30, they seem to have the buttons and swithches all in the right places and it takes no time at all before you start adjusting and focusing with no effort while shooting. Biggest thrill tho, is that I really like the results, as up until now I was never able to bring home a shot like these, with my 7i. (while being respectful enough to acknowledge they fall short of many many wonderful shots previously posted by others, of course, er...modest blush inserted here) Best regards,

KennethD

KennethD