Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:36 AM   #1

I have been following the ongoing debate on black and white photos. Is film better than digital? Is it better to take digital black and white in camera rather than in colour and then do p&p in photoshop etc.
In mho film does have it's very special place in this field as has been demonstrated here and elsewhere. At least with panas it is hard to get the exact same look. However. These are digital cameras and we are making digital art, if you like, and it is it's own distinct form.
You can compare oranges and apples and tastes may vary but most people enjoy both.

Sometimes black and white can save a picture as it brings out some diiferent points in the photo and can make something which might look not so exciting in colour look very exciting in black and white. I find often with scenic shots which do nto look too fantastic changing them to b/w brings out some drama in the sky etc.

Saying all that I have gone back to some old shots - some of which you might have seen here in colour already- and played with them in b/w. Some work much better in b/w while others might lose something.
You be the judge. I am too close to be able to actually tell...

pic 1
Hamburg last week:

Attached Images

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:37 AM   #2

pic 2.
Hamburg metro:

Attached Images

Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:38 AM   #3

pic 3.
taken inside the Japanese bullet train, the Shinkansen, this last April:

Attached Images

Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:40 AM   #4

pic 4.
Taken in Tokyo's Asakusa this April. This gaijin guy was wearing a t-shirt obviously bought in Japan...he was just standing there with his eyes closed and enjoying the hot sun I presume.....or he was a bit mad and did think he was the door!

Attached Images

Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:01 AM   #5

Jussi I think they are excellent ... how did you do it in PS

#1 shows a sober bleakness ... only B&W can do

The train interior is my fav. why .... the white cloths over the headrest graphically stand out so well this is dramatically emphasized in B&W .... excellent.

I think the contrast is a little to high...... the shadows/mid tones could be a bit more open ....just my view.

Compared to film / print its a little cold this is because B&W papers always had a very small color tone hard to explain but differenent to digital .... perhaps this tone can be created in PS .... this is not my area of expertise.

Here is an example of soft Digital B&W images

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15100026

Good work

John

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:40 AM   #6

Jussi

Great pictures... and in B&W they really look good as they seem to capture the mood and the moment. My favorite is the "I am the door" but they are all good.

Cheers

Harj

:|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:13 AM   #7

Thanks John and Harj;

John, I used a program called Virtual photographer which is a photoshop plug-in and then finished with A/W Conversion (another plug-in) selecting tonal response "Ilford FP4".
I noted your comment on the contrasty images and I did it again a tad lighter etc. I am not sure which one i prefer as the first one doe shighlight the white head rests more!
Funnily enough I had overlooked this photo and not posted it anywhere before as in colour it looks a bit boring. Black and white changes it a lot!

Thanks again!

Attached Images

Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:55 PM   #8

Very nice work here !!!!........I LOVE¬* #2 The Metro.¬* All are nice shots !!!.....THNKS......Charles
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:24 PM   #9

These are all quite good. I like "I am the door" best; it has a very modern, sort of surreal. I don'texpect would be as effective in color.
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:49 PM   #10

Thanks for the comments again.

I did do a colour version of the 'I am the door' picture and can't decide which works better as they both have very different qualities. The black and white somehow looks a bit sinister where-as the colour looks almost spiritual as this stranger looks liek he is meditating or something.....

Here is a colour version. Again wth some photoshopping to make it softer etc....

Attached Images