Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:01 PM   #1

After much research in thelast week and looking at pics taken with the 30, I decided it was worth the upgrade from my FZ20. I ordered one from beachcamera this afternoon. I ordered the 55-62 steprings from BH for my TCON14B and Nikon 6T. I also ordered a 55-58 stepring and am going to look at what Gene did for usage with my 6600pro.

The two things that swayed me the most are the upgraded EVF and the 3&5 EZ modes. Really want to see how they work with the Tcon14B. If that doesn't give me the reach I want then I will probably look at getting the Raynox 2020.

Many thanks to Gene, Lovelife, Kenneth, and all for providing the information needed in making the decision.

Keep those pics rolling:|. Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:09 PM   #2

I'm jealous. I too have been debating this over and over in my head. Let us know your thoughts/observations on the 30 when you get it. The more points of view, the better as I'm still considering it. I value the honest feedback of forum members even more than the reviews.

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
After much research in thelast week and looking at pics taken with the 30, I decided it was worth the upgrade from my FZ20. I ordered one from beachcamera this afternoon. I ordered the 55-62 steprings from BH for my TCON14B and Nikon 6T. I also ordered a 55-58 stepring and am going to look at what Gene did for usage with my 6600pro.

The two things that swayed me the most are the upgraded EVF and the 3&5 EZ modes. Really want to see how they work with the Tcon14B. If that doesn't give me the reach I want then I will probably look at getting the Raynox 2020.

Many thanks to Gene, Lovelife, Kenneth, and all for providing the information needed in making the decision.

eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:56 PM   #3

You will love the FZ30.

Here are some photos with the various lens and they are all untouched except for the one or two marked sharpened. I know they need some PP but it does not seem fair to alter them. I had the metering set wrong ( spot when I like center)but the clarity is still obvious and there are a couple 6600 photos there also.

Do not be too critical as I know I am a lousy photographer.

I really think the Tcon 17 works well on the FZ30.

There are 50 photos with the exif and the original ,and the title should show which lens was used.

beachcamera this afternoon. I ordered the 55-62 steprings from BH for my TCON14B and Nikon 6T. I also ordered a 55-58 stepring and am going to look at what Gene did for usage with my 6600pro.

[/quote]
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:09 PM   #4

genece wrote:
Quote:
You will love the FZ30.

Here are some photos with the various lens and they are all untouched except for the one or two marked sharpened. I know they need some PP but it does not seem fair to alter them. I had the metering set wrong ( spot when I like center)but the clarity is still obvious and there are a couple 6600 photos there also.

Do not be too critical as I know I am a lousy photographer.

There are 50 photos with the exif and the original ,and the title should show which lens was used.

beachcamera this afternoon. I ordered the 55-62 steprings from BH for my TCON14B and Nikon 6T. I also ordered a 55-58 stepring and am going to look at what Gene did for usage with my 6600pro.

Gene, Is there suppose to be a link to your pics? I don't see it in the message. Gerry[/quote]
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:27 PM   #5

genece wrote:
Quote:
You will love the FZ30.

Lovelife, I downloaded 3 of your pics from your website. The ones of the back of the car across the street with your FZ30 and each of the teleconverter lenses (tcon14B,tcon17 & Raynox 2020) at 12X. All the pics look good but the Tcon17 seems to look better overall. Would you agree (as Gene does) that the 17 is a very good lense for the 30?

Have you taken any pics with the Tcon17 at 5 or 3 EZ? I would like to see a 12X,5EZ,& a 3EZ for comparison if anyone has one.

Thanks, Gerry[/quote]
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:13 PM   #6

Old age again sorry

http://imageevent.com/grc6/fontsize3...teleconverters
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:32 PM   #7

I consider myself lucky to have a camera that has nearly A L L the things I've been waiting for in a prosumer, and have really been pleased with the FZ30. I'll be waiting to see some shots from you. Congratulations, and happy trails,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:23 AM   #8

Good choice with the camera and also with the vendor. I ordered my FZ30 Tues. a.m. and received it by noon on Thur! Great price, too. Can't wait till the weekend so I can play with it.
adamsonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:18 AM   #9

adamsonp wrote:
Quote:
Good choice with the camera and also with the vendor. I ordered my FZ30 Tues. a.m. and received it by noon on Thur! Great price, too. Can't wait till the weekend so I can play with it.
I ordered mine tuesday around lunch and it was there when I got home from work on wednesday! Tore everything out of the box looking for the battery/charger:-). By the time it charged it was dark outside (what a bummer). Took some pics in the house just to make sure everything was working and off loaded them to my laptop. Thankfully everything is looking good. I compared it to my Rebel XT and they are about the same size. The FZ is a little heavier but the grip is alot bigger than the XT. You can really get ahold of this sucker!

Got home from work last night and wanted to do some test pics and try out the 3&5 EZ modes. I am really pleased with the EVF & LCD compared to the FZ20. In my testing I found for most of the pics that I print or view I don't think that 8MP mode is needed. Am really impressed with the EZ modes! That 15 & 19X zoom is SWEET. Noise level are about the same as the 20 as far as i can see. I won't be using 400 anyway. 80 & 100 are pretty much identical and 200 has a slight level of noise in daylight.

I am happy that I upgraded but will have to put some glue on the shutter button to keep my index finger from searching for the zoom control:O. Gerry