Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:53 PM   #1

Hi! I recently purchased a TCON-14B for my FZ20. It works great, but I'm still not getting as sharp or as close of pictures as I would like. I read somewhere about adding a teleconverter to the tcon14B - is that right? If so, I would love for someone to tell me what set-up they have (brand, model, etc) so I can try to get some more pics in before the summer is over. Thanks in advance!

Ride16 (www.mkklein.smugmug.com)
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:39 PM   #2

The TCON-14B is a teleconverter. You can try stacking teleconverters such as a TCON-14B and a TCON-17 to get more zoom. However, you will probably not get the clarity you would get from just one lens. There are several posts on this forum showing examples of stacked lenses.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:42 PM   #3

ride16 wrote:
Quote:
Hi! I recently purchased a TCON-14B for my FZ20. It works great, but I'm still not getting as sharp or as close of pictures as I would like. I read somewhere about adding a teleconverter to the tcon14B - is that right? If so, I would love for someone to tell me what set-up they have (brand, model, etc) so I can try to get some more pics in before the summer is over. Thanks in advance!

Ride16 (http://www.mkklein.smugmug.com)
Hi ride, I have the Fz20 withthe Phayee adapter. Both the TCON 14B and WCON 08B work perfectly attached to the Phayee. Very sharp. Here is a little example. Keep in mind that when you reduce a picture, you will loose some detail and sharpness.
Attached Images

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:27 PM   #4

tcook wrote:
Quote:
The TCON-14B is a teleconverter. You can try stacking teleconverters such as a TCON-14B and a TCON-17 to get more zoom. However, you will probably not get the clarity you would get from just one lens. There are several posts on this forum showing examples of stacked lenses.
The best example (sharpest pics) I've seen of stacking is a TL55+TCON 14B. If all goes well once I figure out how to create threads in front of the TL55, I'll order one. I remember some time back someone commenting aboutgluinga UV filter with the glass removed and utilizing the threads on it, but I don't remember the filter size.

Hiroshi
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:27 PM   #5

Here is one way this is a tcon17 and a 14B on a FZ30 but it is the same with a FZ20.

The best combo I haveusedfor quality is 2 14Bs

If you decide what you wish to try I can most likely point you to the parts you will need.

I have stacked the Tcons ..Raynox 2020 and a couple other lens it keeps getting harder to focus as the power increases and a good tripod becomes more important.

ride16 wrote:

Quote:

Ride16 (http://www.mkklein.smugmug.com)
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:37 PM   #6

Genece, nice setup.

Do you know anything about the TL55 and how to modify the front end for threads?

Hiroshi
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:02 PM   #7

I do not but someone here told me (I think) it was 72mm ..Fred Moore maybe.

Maybe John Reed ,I am not sure.

So it would be similar to what you do with a Tcon 17...with it I bought the cheapest 77mm filter I could find (rejects) and remove the glass and press it into the front of the Tcon 17 and then get a 77 to 72 stepring and a 72 to 62 stepring and your in business.

At first that 77mm filter fit so tight I did not glue it but it did loosen, so its now glued.

It is in that application better to use more steprings as you can reverse them and actually move the 2nd lens closer to, rather than farther away from the first lens
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:25 PM   #8

Awesome set-up! I had no clue that it was even possible to put two on there like that. So maybe I just need another 14B and I'll be good to go. Would that be considered using a 1X teleconverter along with the 14B? It's confusing because someone told me that you could buy teleconverters in 3 packs (1X, 2X, and 3X, or something like that). Is that something different? Thanks for the info!

Ride16
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the pics, Hiroshi! So, if I have this right, the first picture is with just the 14B on the FZ20 (with the phayee adapter) without the FZ zoomed out at all, and the second one is still just with the 14B on there, but with the digital zoom on the FZ zoomed out all the way? Sorry, but for some reason this is confusing to me. I see all these great pictures on here that you have posted, as well as many others, and I can never seem to get ones that are clear that close-up with just my FZ20 and my TCON14B. Maybe it's just opperator error. :roll: I've attached two pictures I took with my 14B last week. This is about the best I have been able to get it seems like. They're not horrible, but it just seems like I could get a lot better. These guys can be pretty hard to shoot, though. And someone told me once that if I am using a TCON14B, I have to be at least 15 feet away, which makes it even harder to get a good shot.
Attached Images

Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:39 PM   #10

Attached Images