Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:46 PM   #11

I think I would have an interest in such a camera also. Esp. low light & low noise. I would like to see an optical 6X lens, say 28mm to 170mm or so. Like Fugi Finepix 7000. With swivel LCD and all the other goodies you speak of. Could be quite a cam for a lot of folks!.........Charles
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:35 PM   #12

The 4/3 format sounds exiting....BUT....I have not yet seen ANY good pictures come out of any camera using it to date. I would also NOT be willing to give up my ultra zoom capabilities of my FZ20. If that was the case, as CerambyX has commented, the Sony DSC-R1 would be the ticket. If I was not concerned the bulkiness (camera and lenses),possible dust on the sensor when changing lenses and the added cost of DSLR lenses, I would be owning a Nikon D70s, or the "too much for my pocket book" D2X.

What I would like to see is a good large 8 megapixel sensor that will give me good pics at ISO 1600, married to alarger 35-400mm Leica lens and all the bells and whistles of the FZ30 and beyond.That would make me a happy camper, (er... sorry, photographer). JM2C :-)

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:22 PM   #13

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
What I would like to see is a good large 8 megapixel sensor that will give me good pics at ISO 1600, married to alarger 35-400mm Leica lens and all the bells and whistles of the FZ30 and beyond.That would make me a happy camper, (er... sorry, photographer). JM2C :-)

Hiroshi

That is where I stand also. A fixed lens (and I'm another one that also does not want to carry the dslr bag-o-stuff around) that does not go to 420mm is "not" for me.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 6:08 PM   #14

Really, I don't care what sensor is in it...just give me a camera similiar to the FZ30 but good ISO up to at least 800 and usable in a bind at 1600.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:38 PM   #15

i confess, i've been spoiled by the FZ20's 12x ultrazoom. i'd not willingly take a step back to a lesser lens, even if i could use ISO800. frankly, if i could even get a clean ISO400 i'd be a happy camper, but i so seldom use even that, that it's just not that big a deal... i'd much rather keep the power of the Leica lens.

i've had a number of people tell me i should turn pro, and i suppose if that day ever comes, i willpurchase an upgrade to my FZ20. however, i'm not interested in spending $800 or more for a camera with lesser lens capability. any upgrade for me will have to include the same ultrazoom capability as the FZ, plus a cleaner sensor (regardless of size), faster focusing, better EVF resolution, and aviewfinder that doesn't 'freeze' when you pull the trigger. i'm not concerned with more megapixels... for most of my needs, 5MP is sufficient. i suppose if i could get an FZ with7 or8MP on a clean sensor, that would inspire me to try making 16x20 prints, but i don't have room for many of those on my wall, and other than that, i see little need for more and more megapixels.

unfortunately, the FZ30, from what i've read, is NOT an upgrade in any meaningul way... image quality is no better than the FZ20, if even as good, and fancy bells and whistles like fold-out LCDs or zoom rings on the lens are not enough to compensate for shortcomings in image quality. at some point, as technology improves, they will find a way to make even smaller sensors like the one in the FZ20less noisy, so that they will be able to keep the ultrazoom lenses and still get clean 5-6MP images at ISO800. that's when i will think about trading up.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:44 PM   #16

eddie_dane wrote:
Quote:
The thing that ultimately keeps me off the slr train is the lenses I know I'd end up buying. When I look at the Canon DigReb 350, I don't see $700 for the body, I see the total $1200 I'd end up buying.
$1200?to get the range of capability offered by the FZ, you'd need to spend the $7-800 for the body, and another$1500 at least for 2 or 3 top-notch lenses. you'd probably wind up spending twice what you estimated, and still have the hassle of toting a bagful of lenses and accessories to do what the FZ does with one lens. yes, it wouldgive youcleaner images, and more megapixels, but those benefits would not come cheap!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote