Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:41 PM   #21

Full size, zoomed right up, it will hold up very nicely. That's the first thing I tried. Send me a PM and an email address and I'll send you the full shot. You'll see what I mean. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:45 PM   #22

Also check this out. this shot has been cropped. The ISO was 100, the subject was moving and this has been cropped. Blown up if you will, quite a bit. I'll post the original right after this.
Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:46 PM   #23

Oh, one more question: Does the FZ20 battery fit the FZ30?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:47 PM   #24

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Full size, zoomed right up, it will hold up very nicely. That's the first thing I tried. Send me a PM and an email address and I'll send you the full shot. You'll see what I mean. Best regards,

KennethD
Thanks. My email is [email protected]
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:59 PM   #25

Here's the original...uncropped. Even from this you get the idea that noise is not that big an issue. The "fun factor" with this much zoom and these many bells and whistles is more important and desireable. Just take this baby out of the box and you'll start getting shots that will please you right off the bat. This was my first go with trying to get some decent birds of prey shots, and I was amazed at how well (even ME!) could do with a camera like this. I don't know for sure, but I've heard that the fz20 battery won't fit the 30. I've ordered another one, and they ain't cheap. around 70 bucks Canadian. But, what the heck...I haven't had this much fun with a camera with so little effort before, so I'm not even gonna hesitate when it comes to shelling out for the extras. Best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2005, 5:14 PM   #26

I believe Lovelife also has the FZ30 and posted several pitcures a week or so ago and all of them looked very good, esp skin tones. I could not see any noise to complain about either.

I think it will take a little while to get the best out of the cam - its taken me 18 months to to get even a half decent picture out of my FZ10 mainly due to operator error :?.

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 5:22 PM   #27

rduve wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:

KennethD
Thanks. My email is [email protected]
Sent it off, see what you think. With a raw or tiff shot, of course, it would be even better. Hope these posts have helped clear up some issues about the FZ30. I'd hate to see anyone get scared off by the noise issue. The store I bought it at has a 14 day return for full refund policy if you don't like the product. There are so many nice features on this camera, it's not possible to guess about if you'd like it or not. To me, it's really a pleasant experience...the fun factor's huge for me. It's like the best toy I've ever had! I'm glad to own it. Happy trails...

KennethD
Old Sep 23, 2005, 5:32 PM   #28

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I believe Lovelife also has the FZ30 and posted several pitcures a week or so ago and all of them looked very good, esp skin tones. I could not see any noise to complain about either.

I think it will take a little while to get the best out of the cam - its taken me 18 months to to get even a half decent picture out of my FZ10 mainly due to operator error :?.

Harj
Oh, I have been there and done T H A T ! Even after three years with the 7i I was still going back to the manual now and then. (Panasonic should be buying me a dinner at least!) The FZ 30 was smoooooth as buttah....gotter figured out for basics right oughta the box, and if I can shoot with it that fast, you know it's close to idiot proof...and easy to use. So, all things considered when I finally read the manual thoroughly, I bet I'll have even more fun with it. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Sep 23, 2005, 5:52 PM   #29

I have an aftermarket battery that I used in the FZ20.It works fine in the 30.
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 6:33 PM   #30

gellis1 wrote:
Quote:
I think the 20 gave me better pics than the 30,but I am going to give the 30 a little more time before I make a decision.It very well could be me.The 20 was my first digital and I only had it for 3 months, so I still have a lot to learn.I mostly used P program so I would think they both should be close.But I don't know doesn't seem it!
Put a few more miles on it...and try to remove your hand completely away from the focus rings while you press the shutter release. I found that I tended to leave my fingers around the focus rings as I shot and it gave me some less than perfect pics especially on manual focus. Also use the stabilization feature, or a tripod just to see if it makes a difference. If it does, you may be moving a bit as you shoot. Experiment with the scenes setup too. They automatically preset everything for you to match a variety of light and subject situations and I really like the substantial number of choices they offer you. It does take some guesswork out of the equation, and they knew what they were doing when they included those options. The number of blurry or not so sharp focus shots I'm getting has dramatically dropped the longer I play with the 30. In three weeks I've shot over 600 pics. (It doesn't seem like it to me, but the counter is accurate, I guess when you're having fun...time does fly.) Good luck, post some shots for us...

KennethD