Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:18 PM   #31

Does the manual focus ring still operate if your in auto focus mode?
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 7:29 PM   #32

No, I don't think so. But, I'm not sure if nudging the zoom ring will affect the outcome, if you nudge it while you press the shutter. That's only a guess I made with mine, when I was experimenting with trying to get sharper shots. I know I'm doing something right. My shots are better. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 9:43 PM   #33

I realize that I am "borrowing" from another thread, but has anyone here considered the Fuji S9000 in addition to the FZ30?
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:33 AM   #34

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:
I realize that I am "borrowing" from another thread, but has anyone here considered the Fuji S9000 in addition to the FZ30?
Very interesting. Thanks for the tip. Those sample images are very very clean, noise free in lower ISO's and still equal better at 1600 ISO than the FZ30's ISO 400 output. And a nice zoom range, too. But it has no image stabilization, or does it? Also, for years I have found that Fuji cams are leaning toward a yellow cast. But that's a matter of preference, not quality.Mmmh, let me look at the reviews, but this is a good tip. Thanks.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 9:15 AM   #35

gellis

are you sure the z20 battery works in the z 30 i rang panasonic uk and they assured me it would not fit

looking at the shape of it the 20 s is square whereas the 30 is like a double humped bridge so how does it go in

i like many have the z20 and am thinking of upgrading but its the noise issue thats putting me off

but reading this forum and another one i am on i am coming to the conclusion that noise is not that much of an issue its only if you got to iso 400 but how many times do you do that especially if you shoot outdoors

i have been told to set it to 200 and you wont have any probs

i downloaded a pic sent in at 400 iso inside a church using no flash i printed it out at a4 .....wheres the noise its good enough to frame are people being too picky

keep the comments coming guys
sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 2:43 PM   #36

rduve: I believe it does not have image stabilization, but, as always, the question comes down to what we will compromise, and what we won't compromise...

I think I can live without image stab altho it is nice to have and I may someday buy a camera that has it...IMO, having better image "quality" at higher ISO is something I would like, and if I have to give up inage stab I would do so...for others, who knows???

I have read and posted on Fuji S9000 topics, I do not yet own one, but I came to this topic as the FZ30 could be a competitor of the S9000...some folks are also considering the Samsung 815, 15X zoom, but no one has actually seen one yet, and it has been posted that release was expected back in June/July...one reviewer did have a proto, and apparently liked it, but no one else has seen it...

And, I must emphasize, we still do not yet know what will supercede the KM A200, Nikon Coolpix 8800, and Oly C8080...if they repair the "flaws" that folks complained about in those cameras (the only "complaint" by some of the Oly 8080 was that a 7X or 10X zoom, instead of a 5X would make it the perfect camera...those who only wanted 5X do consider it the perfect camera)...when those newer models hit the street, as we assume they will prior to Xmas, the competetion between Fuji S9000 and Pana FZ30 may seem pale in comparison...:-):-):-):-):-)
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:24 PM   #37

Yes,the Z20 battery works fine in the Z30.
gellis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:22 PM   #38

marsha7 wrote:
Quote:
rduve: I believe it does not have image stabilization, but, as always, the question comes down to what we will compromise, and what we won't compromise...

I think I can live without image stab altho it is nice to have and I may someday buy a camera that has it...IMO, having better image "quality" at higher ISO is something I would like, and if I have to give up inage stab I would do so...for others, who knows???

I have read and posted on Fuji S9000 topics, I do not yet own one, but I came to this topic as the FZ30 could be a competitor of the S9000...some folks are also considering the Samsung 815, 15X zoom, but no one has actually seen one yet, and it has been posted that release was expected back in June/July...one reviewer did have a proto, and apparently liked it, but no one else has seen it...

And, I must emphasize, we still do not yet know what will supercede the KM A200, Nikon Coolpix 8800, and Oly C8080...if they repair the "flaws" that folks complained about in those cameras (the only "complaint" by some of the Oly 8080 was that a 7X or 10X zoom, instead of a 5X would make it the perfect camera...those who only wanted 5X do consider it the perfect camera)...when those newer models hit the street, as we assume they will prior to Xmas, the competetion between Fuji S9000 and Pana FZ30 may seem pale in comparison...:-):-):-):-):-)

Marsha, you are right. I took my FZ20 off of ebay and will wait a few months until there is a wider choice of 8 MPUltra Zoom cameraswith less compromises. Thanks.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 2:37 PM   #39

Whoa, KennethD, GREAT shot!
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:01 PM   #40

Thanks,Corcoj! A N D of course Rainer, I sympathize with you. Buying a new camera, like me, you want to get everything you possibly can in it that's on your wish list. If you have patience, you might well be rewarded with a camera with high MP, large sensor and low noise. Some things to keep in mind: as the censor size increases (which logically is the way to go for less noise) the necessity for a physically larger lense becomes a reality. Large censors cannot get the same big zoom unless they also increase the focal length, and size of the lense. Smaller the censor, more zoom with smaller lense. Simply put. The 30 is about as large a camera as I want to carry around. Image stabilization for me was a no brainer. Comparing my pics with the 30 to what I shot before, I now have a larger (much larger) percentage of "keepers" when it comes to shooting objects where I try to follow a moving target. (like that hawk). Fun factor really scores high there. Another thing I like about the 30 is that the moving parts are inside the barrel. The barrel does not physically extend using zoom. Why do I like this? Because with no barrel sliding in and out no shmutz gets in the mechanism, but even better, when you add on an extra accessory lense like a teleconverter, It's less likely to disrupt the balance and symmetry of the camera. Look at the pics I am posting of the 7i for a clear example. The 7i with barrel extended A N D the 1.5X accessory lense is a really difficult shape to accomodate. One hand must now be used to support the lense combo, making shooting a chore. I believe the 9000 extends the barrel for zoom too. Just something you might not think of if you want extra added on zoom power. But nice to know before hand if you'd like the extra zoom. Well, that's my 2 cents for now...best regards everyone,

KennethD
Flip over to page three for some pics of the 7i, an argument for the compact movement inside the barrel (for zoom) which the FZ30 design does use vs this method used on the 7i and cameras where the barrel extends for zoom.
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote