Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:02 PM   #41

7i no zoom...
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:03 PM   #42

7i barrel extended for max 7X zoom
Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2005, 5:07 PM   #43

7i with tele zoom add on accessory lense gives 10X zoom very awkward....and...with the Panasonic with NO barrel extension I get a whopping 12X zoom...very nice!
Attached Images

Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:36 PM   #44

Thanks, Kenneth and everyone else. You have been very helpful. I understand the issue about the necessity for a smaller sensor in a compact ultra zoom camera. However, it seems like Panasonic's choice of sensor is unusually noisy. For example, theCCD used by Fuji in the S9000 is barely larger at 1/1.6" vs. the 1/1.8" in the FZ30, but packs 9MP into a significantly less noisy image. It gets comparable noise to the FZ30's 400 ISO images only at 1600 ISO. Can you imagine that combined with the Image Stablilization. I think Panasonic will address the issue in the next generation, that's why I am sitting out the FZ30. I am, after all, extremely happy with my FZ20 for the time being. But if another company beatsPanasonic in this race to the perfect 8MP Ultra zoom cam, I am open to other brands as well. Let's see what gets released for X-mas.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:37 PM   #45

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
7i with tele zoom add on accessory lense gives 10X zoom very awkward....and...with the Panasonic with NO barrel extension I get a whopping 12X zoom...very nice!

Yes, too big and awkward to me......
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:34 PM   #46

Does the S9000 come with IS? And is the ccd a genuine 9MP, not just the interpolated version, do you know? I know I W A I T E D literally for years for another camera, you being lucky, already have a decent cam with a nice package of options so waiting shouldn't be too painful for you. Me, if I find the noise issue bothersome, I won't hesitate to buy another camera, but it would have to have at least as good a package as the FZ30. I am disappointed that Sony didn't up the zoom in their 10 MP newest offering. Now T H A T would have raised my eyebrows and maybe had me reaching for my wallet, if they'd have included a decent zoom. meanwhile...back at the ranch...you'll hear my 30 clicking all over the place. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:49 PM   #47

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Does the S9000 come with IS? And is the ccd a genuine 9MP, not just the interpolated version, do you know? I know I W A I T E D literally for years for another camera, you being lucky, already have a decent cam with a nice package of options so waiting shouldn't be too painful for you. Me, if I find the noise issue bothersome, I won't hesitate to buy another camera, but it would have to have at least as good a package as the FZ30. I am disappointed that Sony didn't up the zoom in their 10 MP newest offering. Now T H A T would have raised my eyebrows and maybe had me reaching for my wallet, if they'd have included a decent zoom. meanwhile...back at the ranch...you'll hear my 30 clicking all over the place. Best regards,

KennethD

No, the S9000 does not have IS. They have a feature that they call "anti-blur", which basically just switches to higher ISO settings in low light conditions or when swift movement is present, something auto exposure should do anyway, not a real "feature" to compete with genuine Image Stabilization. I want to see a camera that has actual IS in combination with a larger, low noise CCD. That'll be the ticket. Who is next: Nikon, maybe? It's been a while since the 8080.

To answer your other question: the 9MP is for real as far as I know, not interpolated.

Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:04 AM   #48

To get this a little more back on track, I'm not convinced that the FZ20 to FZ30 upgrade is for everyone. If you miss shots due to slow startup, if you find yourself taking a lot of movies with your camera, and if you like the idea of faster (manual) zoom and a better manual foucs, I think the camera is a great upgrade.

For my uses, my FZ20 still does a super job in situations where I can't lug my Canon 1D and lenses. These prosumers can't (yet) compete with DSLR's when it comes to noise. I think Panasonic is playing the MP game like everyone else. 90% of us I'd guess don't need more than 4-5MP. In fact, I noticed more noise when I did the FZ10 to FZ20 upgrade last year.

srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:11 AM   #49

srvsd wrote:
Quote:
To get this a little more back on track, I'm not convinced that the FZ20 to FZ30 upgrade is for everyone. If you miss shots due to slow startup, if you find yourself taking a lot of movies with your camera, and if you like the idea of faster (manual) zoom and a better manual foucs, I think the camera is a great upgrade.

For my uses, my FZ20 still does a super job in situations where I can't lug my Canon 1D and lenses. These prosumers can't (yet) compete with DSLR's when it comes to noise. I think Panasonic is playing the MP game like everyone else. 90% of us I'd guess don't need more than 4-5MP. In fact, I noticed more noise when I did the FZ10 to FZ20 upgrade last year.

Amen!