Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:11 AM   #1

I am having trouble getting the fz5 to focus in P mode using zoom. If I put it in auto mode it will usually focus pretty well (see attached butterfly). In macro it doesn't want to focus either; do you always use a tripod?

Thanks
Attached Images

Brandnugirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:25 PM   #2

There is seldom a need for a tripod with the fz sereis. The fz auto focus takes a little getting used to, however. It focuses best on contrasted vertical areas. For instance, on the butterfly shot (which looks okay to me - is it a crop?), lock spot focus with a shutter half-press on the flower stem and then reframe as desired and complete the shutter release. Obviously, you want to choose a spotwith equal distance and lightingas thesubject. This may sound a little tedious but eventually becomes second nature and produces sharply focussed images.

It's also possible that you were simply too close to get focus. In PASM modes,the focus range is 30cm (1ft)at 1x to 2m (6.5ft) at 12x. Macro mode allows you to focus very close (2cm) at 1x but at higher zooms it's pretty much the same as PASM exceptat 12x where telemacrokicks inallowing for focus at 1m, which is a very useful feature IMO.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 1:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. No, its not a crop, that one came out very well. But a couple of the shots I was just not able to focus. I will try focusing on the stem, thanks!
Brandnugirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:36 PM   #4

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
...Macro mode allows you to focus very close (2cm) at 1x but at higher zooms it's pretty much the same as PASM exceptat 12x where telemacrokicks inallowing for focus at 1m...
I did not know this. Not having yet purchased the 6t (it's on my list), I've had no luck with Macro attempts, 'cause of inability to focus. Hmm, I'll try this at 12X. Interesting.
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote