Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 25, 2005, 6:30 PM   #11

Troy Carter wrote:
Quote:
indiawala wrote:
Quote:
ggw...i think he is talking about rotating the polarizer. The line at which the most reflections are visible is image #2 and the line at which the least light is reflected is image #3.

All polarizers (i think) need to be rotated on the lens to get the best effect. Its different depending on the object and the position of the sun in the sky.

seth

Correct...both the most and least shots are with the polarizer. I simply rotated the lens to change the amount of reflection that is shown. Polarizers can add or remove reflections depending on how they are adjusted, which is why I also included the shot with no polarizer to show the "mean" reflection.

Interesting, never used one and obviously didn't know how they worked. Smarter now tho.. In what situations would one usally use a polarizer? Thanks, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 6:53 PM   #12

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:

Interesting, never used one and obviously didn't know how they worked. Smarter now tho.. In what situations would one usally use a polarizer? Thanks, Gerry

I use one alot on sunny days at the race track to cut down glare from sun on cars. I've also found it very helpful in scenic shots that include water. They are also used often for nature shots where extremely fast shutter speeds are not needed. They cut reflections from leaves and such making the detail pop a bit more. They make the skies a bit more blue and underwater objects easier to photo. Very useful really...
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:22 PM   #13

Troy Carter wrote:
Quote:
ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:

I use one alot on sunny days at the race track to cut down glare from sun on cars. I've also found it very helpful in scenic shots that include water. They are also used often for nature shots where extremely fast shutter speeds are not needed. They cut reflections from leaves and such making the detail pop a bit more. They make the skies a bit more blue and underwater objects easier to photo. Very useful really...

Troy, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. In other words anywhere that one might run into an excess of light reflections (as you say: water/shiny objects, etc.). I will have to check BH to see what they have and how much $$. Gerry
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:16 PM   #14

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Troy Carter wrote:
Quote:
ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:

Troy, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. In other words anywhere that one might run into an excess of light reflections (as you say: water/shiny objects, etc.). I will have to check BH to see what they have and how much $$. Gerry
A linear polarizer which is all you need is $12.25 including shipping on ebay. Spending more is a waste of money because the results will be the same.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:32 AM   #15

Thanks Lovelife,,, Gerry
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:21 PM   #16

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A linear polarizer which is all you need is $12.25 including shipping on ebay. Spending more is a waste of money because the results will be the same.

Lovelife, I didn't see any 55mm Linear Polarizers on ebay at all? Gerry
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:26 PM   #17

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Lovelife, I didn't see any 55mm Linear Polarizers on ebay at all? Gerry
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-55-Hoya-Std-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:03 PM   #18

That's the same one I used in these shots...well worth the money IMO.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:31 PM   #19

hello all,

What is the different between a linear polarizer and a circular polarizer. Which one is good for a FZ30?

thanks

Truong
ahaznboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 3:54 PM   #20

ahaznboi wrote:
Quote:
hello all,

What is the different between a linear polarizer and a circular polarizer. Which one is good for a FZ30?

thanks

Truong
Both polarizers have rotating rings. The reduce glare from sand water glass and plastic[not metal] and depending on the sun angle the can increase saturation. Linear was designed in 1949 for cameras in the market place. The fractal lines are crosshatched. When the split beam mirror focus systems came out in the 60's the linear caused focus problems. The circular was invented which uses circular fractals and a special foil to solve the problem. The CPL does not work as well as the linear but something is better then nothing. The FZs with the EVF system do no use mirrors ergo the linear is perfect.
Did I mention cheaper?