Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:09 PM   #1

Am in process of buying a FZ-20 and wonder about upgrading the 16MB card to something more realistic...

Don't know the quality of the various manufacturers, but looking on the web have found offerings for a 1 GB ADATA card for a seemingly very low price of $49.95.

Is this a viable option, or would I be better of sticking to the better known brands such as Kingston or Sandisk?

Is the FZ-20 internal electronic structure fast enough that it will benefit from one of the "Ultra" speed cards, or is a more standard read/write speed of 2 or 3MB/sec OK for this camera?

Thanks for your input. I'm glad I discovered this forum and look forward to participating!

Don McGilvray
n741dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:31 PM   #2

n741dm wrote:
Quote:
Am in process of buying a FZ-20 and wonder about upgrading the 16MB card to something more realistic...

Don't know the quality of the various manufacturers, but looking on the web have found offerings for a 1 GB ADATA card for a seemingly very low price of $49.95.

Is this a viable option, or would I be better of sticking to the better known brands such as Kingston or Sandisk?

Is the FZ-20 internal electronic structure fast enough that it will benefit from one of the "Ultra" speed cards, or is a more standard read/write speed of 2 or 3MB/sec OK for this camera?

Thanks for your input. I'm glad I discovered this forum and look forward to participating!

Don McGilvray

Don't know about the card you mentioned but it seems everyone is making memory cards these days. Personally I have only purchased Sandisk Ultra IIs for use in my FZ20/FZ30 and Rebel XT. I have never had an issue and trust them 100%. Are they more expensive-yes but can be found on sale for a fair price. I'm sure that there are many good cards out there but remember it's YOUR pics that are on that card in the end.. Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:57 PM   #3

no personal experience with A-DATA, but flash memory is getting so cheap - and the technology so reliable - that for $50, it's a relatively small risk. i use primarily Kingmax 512MB hi-speed (60x)cards. i'd rather have 2 512's than a single 1GB card, that way if one should by some fluke develop a problem, or get lost, i still have a spare. if you're interested, Newegg.com offers the Kingmax 512MB card for under $30. they also sell the A-DATA 1GB 60x cards for $52.95. Newegg is absolutely reliable, and shipping is prompt and reasonably priced.

the FZ's do benefit from a hi-speed card, especially in burst or continuous mode. with a standard-speed card, the camera has to pause to unload the buffer every 4-6 frames in continuous mode. with a hi-speed card, it just keeps taking photos till the card is full. similarly, in burst mode, it stopsbetween bursts and won't let you shoot again till it clears the buffers.with a standard card, this can take a couple of seconds or more; with a hi-speed card, it's almost instantaneous.also, hi-speec cards are much faster to download to your PC, and if you want to clear them, they erase a lot quicker.

that said, there's no need for anything over about 45-60x. i know there are some out there rated higher, but that's overkill, and you won't notice the difference, except in your wallet.

FYI, "x" in terms of memory speed, is 150KB per second. this means an 8x card would transfer data at 1.2MB/sec - far too slow for the FZ. a 60x card runs about 9MB/sec, which is faster than needed, but like i mentioned above, it lets the camera dictate the speed, rather than the other way around. and with fast cards as cheap as they are, there's absolutely no reason wait whileyour cameratransfers images.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 8:36 PM   #4

Thank you for your responses. That pretty well confirms what my limited reading to date had led me to believe!

I'll be getting a name-brand "Ultra" or similar so that card doesn't slow down the camera.

Thanks also for the lead on Newegg.com. I'll jump over there and take a look.

Don
n741dm is offline   Reply With Quote