Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:38 AM   #11

Peter_with_digicam wrote:
Quote:
Good shots. I'm into aircraft photos when I get a chance, but what's that mottling effect I see in the clouds on my screen in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd pictures? That's not what people call noise is it?
Why, sir...I believe you are trying to say something...(blush) could N O I S E be the word you are lookin'fo? :lol: I don't mind really, those were among the very first shots I had taken with the 30, (but I still like them) and I do intend to go back, shoot the same shots, but tweak the settings this time.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:56 AM   #12

KENNETHD

Didn't mean to be rude :roll:. It's just that as you see I'm a newbie with no experience yet of the FZ30 I've just bought, and, having read so much about that darned thing called N...., I just couldn't make out why this cloud mottling could be the same thing.

How do you propose to "tweak the settings"?
Peter_with_digicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:23 PM   #13

Peter_with_digicam wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD

Didn't mean to be rude :roll:. It's just that as you see I'm a newbie with no experience yet of the FZ30 I've just bought, and, having read so much about that darned thing called N...., I just couldn't make out why this cloud mottling could be the same thing.

How do you propose to "tweak the settings"?
Well, for starters, I am not sure if I was using the IS, and I must go back and check the ISO. I have no clue what the shutter speed was. Must check that too. BUT, being lazy, I am just going to go back and reshoot, this time taking care to check those things, and compare the results. I might even use a tripod for some shots, as those shots are very predictable when you are right at the end of the runway as they come down for landing. Note too that it was overcast and in poor light. So, this will not be a controlled variable, I'll have to take what I can get. Of course the best low light shots will be on a tripod, with as slow a shutter speed as you can manage, but knowing these beasts are moving very fast, in this light it may very well be the case this is as good as the 30 will do in that light shoting something moving that fast. Rudeness is not to be found in your post IMO...I'm glad you have an FZ 30, I love mine to bits. We must forgive it it's variables and limitations, and also note this was a fun expedtion, no noise cleaner upper software or anything was used. I'm including that statement not in denial or in defense of the camera, but as a new owner you should not be discouraged looking at these. You may very well (like me) never usually shoot in these conditions unless it's just for fun. Good luck with your new (superb) camera, best regards, share your shots with us...

KennethD
Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:39 PM   #14

KennethD

Thank you for your comments. As a learner with a digicam, I find the more info I can see about the camera and settings for a picture which is posted here, the better. I seem to remember this is what I used to do when I first entered SLR photography in the 1960s...and then the novelty wore off I suppose, and I became somewhat blasé about that side of it.

At the moment I feel a born-again photographer, as this is the first change of camera of this calibre I've had for 30 years! You can see that I'm unlikely to be itching to get my hands on an FZ40, should one ever appear. I will post a picture some time, but here in the UK the weather at the moment makes you want to leave your camera tucked up in its bag until spring arrives!
Peter_with_digicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:42 PM   #15

Peter, D o not leave that camera just sit! You can see so many different things to do with it, from just browsing thru here. I know the weather can be a drag, but we all need input from all over to keep our photographic juices flowing! Eyeball to viewfinder, auto focus on....now, shoot something! (And post it here):lol:

Kd
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:49 PM   #16

All are nice, clearphotos.I found out today how hard air plane shots really are. I went out to Dyess AFB today andhad no luck at all catching the B1 Bombers. Those suckers are fast and either my FZ-15or I were just too slow. ( probably me) There is definitely a learning curve to this kind of photography. They put the planes away and all I had was several shots withhalf a plane in them. Yours and others pictures inspire me to try until I get it right.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:34 PM   #17

Very nice Kenneth! Love those plane shots! I'm getting quite a collection besides the ones I've posted on here! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:35 PM   #18

genece wrote:
Quote:
Thats very nice and a shot that I think would have been very difficult with the FZ20.
Hmm,

Are you sure about that? I have seen shots by greenbaron with the FZ20 that has me not believing your statement as being true.

If so, what and why would it be so different with the FZ30 vs. FZ whatever?

I will say that the shots are nice and can be done with any FZ.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 4:19 PM   #19

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Very nice Kenneth! Love those plane shots! I'm getting quite a collection besides the ones I've posted on here! Jim
Thanks...! The best thing is that these babies come in soooooo low, right over one of our main drags here in Calgary, and it is just a few hundred feet off the end of the runway. You're not allowed to park on the boulevard, but there's an area for parking and watching them land an easy walk from there. I often take a folding chair, and walk my dog, sit just off the road, on a wide grassy spot, and wait. The winds are almost always such that that's the direction they land from. So I will post more soon. Glad to hear there's more than me out there who like these sort of shots, they sure are fun, cuz a huge thing like that going right over your head T H A T low and so noisy...is almost the same as the thrill you get on some rides at the fair.:lol:Best regards,

KennethD
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:51 AM   #20

Hi Pan-Fans, just taken delivery of my new FZ30, and went Liverpool airport and took This. :|I have been deliberating for some time about which camera to buy and, thanks to you guys and the exccellent Steves Digicams, I feel I made the right choice! I love this camera! Noise issues?.....none to worry about, thanks, Al
Attached Images

freewood is offline   Reply With Quote