Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:27 AM   #1

I have been looking at several pics on the site and noticed that most have a exposure bias of -33 or -66. Is this a common practice or just on a few pictures? Will some other FZ owners give me a little feedback on this.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:53 AM   #2

I think it can have a lot to do with your camera and metering mode.

I use -2/3 with a FZ10 and -1/3 with the FZ20 and center meter but 0 or + 1/3 with multi-meter or what ever its called.

Bottom line....whatever works for you.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:48 AM   #3

When I got my FZ10 I worked out fairly quickly that blown highlights were much uglier than darker shadows, so I shoot with EV-0.66 pretty much permanently. If the subject is dark or back lit I push it up to EV+0, but every time I've gone into positive territory (say EV+0.66), the resulting picture has been worse.

Apparently some people combat blown highlights by setting contrast to "low". I haven't tried this yet, mostly because using EV-0.66 works so well. I also suspect the result depends on the ISO selected, but I've not experimented much since I shoot almost all photos at ISO50.

Experiment to find the right value for your camera. I doubt that this is exclusively a Panasonic thing either.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:09 PM   #4

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
I have been looking at several pics on the site and noticed that most have a exposure bias of -33 or -66. Is this a common practice or just on a few pictures? Will some other FZ owners give me a little feedback on this.
I run -1/3 on the Fz10 and on the FZ30.

I alo run the FZ30 with -2 toward red on the WB adjustment.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:56 PM   #5

My default with the fz1 was -1/3 and I've found the same to workbest with the fz5.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:14 PM   #6

I almost always use -1/3 on my FZ20 except for on a dark or overcast day, then I sometimes set it back to 0
Peggyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:20 PM   #7

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Why? Skin tones seem to be too red. Are you going away from red towards blue? Was the painted face/clown in the NYC block party series set to that?

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:47 PM   #8

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Why? Skin tones seem to be too red. Are you going away from red towards blue? Was the painted face/clown in the NYC block party series set to that?

I am not very happy with this camera It tends to get a blue cast in a lot of my shots. To me this helps. Yes this shot was set -2 toward red.

When I run it thru a color balance program it does not change it. So I do not think I am puching too far.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote