Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:51 PM   #1

Just announced on dpreview, and on Steve's

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/e500.html

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05...lympuse500.asp

Looks good but they have stuck with the e300 4/3rds sensor which was not that good so it will be interesting to see some sample pics

Treemonkey
Attached Images

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:01 AM   #2

Tree

Looks interesting - the 4/3rd CCD was expected though you just can;t see Oly dropping it, esp with Pana and a few others now on board. There's no OIS on the cam but that could be due to Oly wanting to use it for the E1 replacement which is also due in a few months. The interesting thing is the E500 does have the anti-dust system to protect the sensor and that it's being priced with a kit lens at $799USD which is the recommended price from Oly.

It'll be interesting to see the sample shots and could be a good indication of what the Pana DSLR will be like. Here's another detailed preview at imgaing resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EV500/E500A.HTM

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:13 AM   #3

I think I am going to wait to see what Panasonic does with theirs but I would like to ask about the lens options, it seems the Telephoto lens for it are very expensive I understand the 2 X crop factor, but still the lens are expensive...are there options?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:28 AM   #4

The E-300 doesn't take the best high ISO pics compared to other low end DSLR's it seems but still seems to do better than the current crop of P&S models. With the same sensor I wonder if there will be any improvement with the E-500 or if the higher end fixed lens digicams will be a better option.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 4:10 PM   #5

Gene

The current lens options on the current 4/3's from Oly are not cheap - a wee bit shocking when I first saw them - anything from around $300-2000 but they do manufacture some very good glass. There are Sigma lenses available and they are a lot cheaper in price $160-300 but I think the qulaity of the optics won;t compare to Oly's.

There's a couple of interesting telephoto zoom lenses that they have just released esp the Zukio ED35-100 (70-200mm) f1:2.0 max aperature and the 18-180(36-360mm) f3.5-6.3. No prices on these but even the 18-180 would cost about

I'm also going to wait for the Pana DSLR and see what that is like and the lenses Pana/Leica Lenses that may come with it. I'd still rather have a 4/3CCD fixed lens 24-200mm Pana/Leica cam with the FZ30's ergonomics - not having a live preview and histogram would be really hard to loose.

HarjTT

:G:-)

Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:38 PM   #6

The first Pana SLR will be the same as the Olympus E3, the upgrade of the E1, out next Feb-March.

My "guess" is that the Pana lenses will have a buit in stabiliser.

BTW, for a high end fixed lens, 24mm to something you will have to buy the Sony R1
REALYTYCHECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:48 PM   #7

The Sony's just way too ugly for me, the ergonomics don't look right and there is no IS. The replacement for the Digilux2/LC1 is due in a few months and I'm hoping that will fit the bill - with a 4/3 CCD Pana should be able to make the cam about the size or probably slightly larger than the FZ30 and with a decent zoom although they may cripple it so that it does not compete head to head against the DSLR.

HarjTT

pS

Regards the 4/3 format wasn;t the whole point of it to allow for smaller camera's and smaller, more affordable lenses?

Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:30 PM   #8

I realise that Oly willl stick with the 4/3rds system but I was hoping they would use a new CCD and not the same one as was used in the e300. The e300 CCD just didnt seem that good, noise still present, not very fast, so I was expecting a real upgrade.

Will be interesting to see what Pana comes up with.

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Tree

Looks interesting - the 4/3rd CCD was expected though you just can;t see Oly dropping it, esp with Pana and a few others now on board. There's no OIS on the cam but that could be due to Oly wanting to use it for the E1 replacement which is also due in a few months. The interesting thing is the E500 does have the anti-dust system to protect the sensor and that it's being priced with a kit lens at $799USD which is the recommended price from Oly.

It'll be interesting to see the sample shots and could be a good indication of what the Pana DSLR will be like. Here's another detailed preview at imgaing resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EV500/E500A.HTM

HarjTT

:|
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote