Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:51 AM   #1

I got to try a FZ30 recently and am still mulling over my reaction.

The grip is finally the right size. The extra weight seems minimal given the good grip. The zoom control is spot on. So much of it is immediately recognisable as being pretty much perfect. Except...

Except I found the shutter button strangely difficult to use. It is nestled in what can only be described as a very short tube, and when I press the button, I press on the edge of the tube without pressing the button the full distance. It takes extra, conscious effort to press it far enough to take a picture.

Does anyone else find the shutter button inconveniently recessed?

The other thing that jumped out at me was the slow refresh rate on the LCD. My FZ10 updates the LCD so frequently it seems totally smooth. The FZ30 was obviously a slide show. How long did it take you to get used to that?

Without these puzzling oddities I think I would have bought it on the spot. Now I have to think about it...
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:08 AM   #2

I also Have a FZ10 and I see no problem with the FZ30 shutter button.

And while I never use the LCD ,I see no difference in the way it works, but as I say I can see very few reasons to use the LCD.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:10 PM   #3

I have no issue with the shutter button on my 30. Seems ok, and in a logical place. And don't really know what you mean about the lcd...is it the speed at which it reviews picutres you are asking about? Or the speed at which it regenerates the image when using it to focus a shot, after you shoot? In any case unless I'm shooting tiff or raw, it seems to be nearly instant. But, I'm using a slow plain jane san disk 1 gig card, not a speedier one, which does make a difference. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:59 PM   #4

Heck no!

It's exactly where it should be. :G

The FZ-20 had the button in the wrong place.

It could be that you either have very small hands or short finners or both.

If that's the case, you would have had a real problem with the 20.

PALADIN

Paladin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:02 AM   #5

I'll try to clarify my surprising problem with the shutter button.

It's in the right place on the FZ30, out in front, under the index finger. But it is surrounded by a low ring, a sort of tube. For whatever reason, my finger presses on the ring, not just the button. Maybe I have Homer Simpson's Fat Stubby Finger Sydrome! Anyway, I found I had to go to extra trouble to press the button in far enough to get it to take a shot. On the FZ10 this isn't a problem because the unnatural placement of the shutter button on the FZ10 puts the very point of my finger on the button (which makes it a blessing in disguise). I suppose I'll just have to go back to the shop and play a bit longer to see if my finger learns how to do it right on the FZ30.

And the LCD update rate I'm talking about is how fast it responds when you are composing a shot, nothing to do with shot to shot rate, or whatever. On my FZ10 the LCD updates at such a high rate it's like looking through a window. On the FZ30 that I saw it was updated only at clearly separated intervals, like a slide show. Is that rate configurable? If so, I'd set it much higher.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:35 AM   #6

anomaly wrote:
Quote:
I'll try to clarify my surprising problem with the shutter button.

It's in the right place on the FZ30, out in front, under the index finger. But it is surrounded by a low ring, a sort of tube. For whatever reason, my finger presses on the ring, not just the button. Maybe I have Homer Simpson's Fat Stubby Finger Sydrome! Anyway, I found I had to go to extra trouble to press the button in far enough to get it to take a shot. On the FZ10 this isn't a problem because the unnatural placement of the shutter button on the FZ10 puts the very point of my finger on the button (which makes it a blessing in disguise). I suppose I'll just have to go back to the shop and play a bit longer to see if my finger learns how to do it right on the FZ30.

And the LCD update rate I'm talking about is how fast it responds when you are composing a shot, nothing to do with shot to shot rate, or whatever. On my FZ10 the LCD updates at such a high rate it's like looking through a window. On the FZ30 that I saw it was updated only at clearly separated intervals, like a slide show. Is that rate configurable? If so, I'd set it much higher.
What is your setting for OIS mode 1?
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 4:41 AM   #7

I always use OIS mode 2 on my FZ10, but setting OIS mode 1 doesn't make any difference to the LCD refresh rate; it just takes the shake out. The FZ30 in the store was on mode 1, in case that makes any difference. When I get a chance to go shopping again, I'll take my FZ10 with me and view them side by side.

As for the button, I assume everyone else has pointy fingers! I may have to glue an extension on top of it if I buy a FZ30.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:29 AM   #8

anomaly wrote:
Quote:
I always use OIS mode 2 on my FZ10, but setting OIS mode 1 doesn't make any difference to the LCD refresh rate; it just takes the shake out. The FZ30 in the store was on mode 1, in case that makes any difference. When I get a chance to go shopping again, I'll take my FZ10 with me and view them side by side.

As for the button, I assume everyone else has pointy fingers! I may have to glue an extension on top of it if I buy a FZ30.

You can always try the remote shutter button. It may solve your problem. I have no problems because I run my index finger through a pencil sharpener once a week.....whether it needs it or not! :?

Attached Images

Paladin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 5:47 PM   #9

I have the same problem with the FZ5, so you're not alone.

P.S. If you find a fix let me know--thanx:|
Digitelzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:26 AM   #10

i don't know why everyone complains so much about the location of the shutter button on the FZ20... i've had no problem with it at all! perhaps because it's in the same spot relative to the body as the shutter release on my old Pentax 35mm SLR...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote