Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:24 AM   #1

Hi All

I was wandering if anyone has had blurred edges using the FZ20 and Raynox 1540Pro?

What is this caused by?

And can you fix it besides cropping?

In the below picture there is severe blurring around the edges of the picture.

Thanks in advance

Allan
Attached Images

Dassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:19 PM   #2

Hi,
I donĀ“t own this lens.
But there is a nice comparison - only visible upto 1.oct.2005:
http://www.pbase.com/10kzoomfz/image/26137750

This is a part of this page:
http://www.pbase.com/10kzoomfz/tele_pd62_comparisons

This raynox lens is reported as: fair quality.
But there are excellent ones!

I guess fmoore will tell you more!
sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:53 PM   #3

Thanks those were realy nice links.

Seems like there will alwasy be a little softning at the corners regardless of the lens.

Thanks again

Allan
Dassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:03 PM   #4

Nothing wrong with what you are doing. The lens does have that tendency to lose edge sharpness. Comes down to the quality of it. The center is good but it does tend to lose as mentioned before around the edges.

The Oly 14b is quite possibly the best of the lot. I don't own or use one and I do have the 1540 pro. My results have been mixed but I know [email protected] got great results from it but he does crop the soft edges since his style of shooting are birds. The lens shows great detail and sharpness in that respect.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 12:19 PM   #5

I don't have the raynox 1540pro or the fz20, so I can't say for sure. What is the diameter of the rear glass pupil on the 1540?If it's only around 30 or so mm, that's most likelythe cause ofthe edge blurring. The tcon14b rearglass measures about 46mm. The minota act100 is 43mm. You wont find any edge blurring with them.

Bill Mullenhas used the 1540 on the fz20 with excellent results but with considerable cropping - down to 1800x1350. (See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23 He was using the raynox rt5264p adapter which would get the 1540 as close to the fz20 extended lens as possible, which is important. But he still had to do alot of cropping. That's okay if the subject isn't filling the frame as your elephant does.

I'll bet the 1540 does better with the fz5 since its lens is smaller than the fz20 and would thus be a little more compatible with the tele's small rear pupil. Anyone tried the 1540 with the fz5?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:10 PM   #6

Dassie wrote:
Quote:
Hi All

I was wandering if anyone has had blurred edges using the FZ20 and Raynox 1540Pro?

What is this caused by?

And can you fix it besides cropping?

In the below picture there is severe blurring around the edges of the picture.

Thanks in advance

Allan

You did not mention your setup. What adapter are you using and are you using a step down ring. These rings move the rear element an additional +4mm away from the Leica front element. The DCR1540 rear element is 38mm and should be fine if you can get the lens close to the FZ20 front bezel. The CRing Adapter with a 62-52mm CRing positions the 1540 base 2.82mm from the front element.

8.1X

10X

12X

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote