Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:01 AM   #1

Still breaking in the FZ 30 (with some still shots? no pun intended) Best regards,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"KennethD
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:45 AM   #2

I love that shot. For the benefit of pre-schoolers like me, would you share howyou did it, please.
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:04 AM   #3

Very nicely composed! Do you also have a hobby in flower arranging? :-)
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:11 AM   #4

Lovely shot. Looks to me like your FZ30 is breaking in just fine.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:49 PM   #5

Oh, thank you...! This was a very easy shot to do. It was done in my kitchen nook. I took off my black hoodie, (pullover) draped it over the toaster, and let the rest fall flat onto the table. I placed the flowers in a small, highball sized vase, arranged the blossoms from largest to smallest, top to bottom. I placed the arrangement on the flat black surface, with the black background being seamless vertically. Then turned off the kitchen light, left a small bulb on in the nook area, put the FZ 30 on a tripod zoomed up to frame the flowers so nothing but the black background showed all around them. Then the hard part (not) I just set the 30 to full auto (p setting) and shot. C L I C K...! No flash. Got it. Oops! I just remembered. I used a manual focus. Everything else was auto. Then I took the shot and went to my software, just adjusted the saturation and contrast a very small amount. Resized and posted! I got the idea to do this shot for my friend after returning home from her brother's funeral. I thought the white flowers (which look an awful lot like roses but aren't) and black background would be a perfect expression of respect and sympathy considering the event. You can just see the bit of rim of the vase between the two lower blossoms. Other than that, it was just about the way I hoped it would look. Best regards,

KennethD
Of course I have to add a small remark about the fz 30. It has really made it easy to take good shots. I can't believe how good my results have been with this camera compared to my 7i, which I worked so much with I practically wore it out. This one is just effortless.
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:38 PM   #6

White is a tough color to get the contrast and detail like you have here and with many flowers too.

My preference though is that this be sharper than it is. Looks more than abit soft.

Also, the brownish color at the bottom is distracting as well.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote