Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:15 AM   #1

I have my FZ20 which i love, for a year now, and i know that the new panasonic is out, but is it really worth to replace my FZ20 for the new FZ30? are the changes that good? or it´s better to wait a year more to the new generation of digital cameras?

Thanks in advance
joao_pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:42 AM   #2

It's evidently a great camera. There are already a bunch of threads on this subject and posted pics. Search for FZ30.

But to sum it up for me;I'm waitin'.

:|

corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:33 AM   #3

Im waiting as well....no need for me to upgrade especially since I have not yet fully mastered my FZ20.

dengar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 7:40 AM   #4

For picture quality alone its most likely not worth the upgrade.

But if you want the added features it most definately is.

Faster startup

Faster -surer focus

The easier access to the function controls.( program shift,burst mode,IS,)

Manual Zoom

Retains settings

low light gain up

I am sure there are lots more ...To me the upgrade was well worth the price.Much more so than when I went from the FZ10 to the 20.

I would have liked less noise ... but its about the same as the FZ20.

corcoj wrote:
Quote:
It's evidently a great camera. There are already a bunch of threads on this subject and posted pics. Search for FZ30.

But to sum it up for me;I'm waitin'.

:|

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 8:13 AM   #5

Hi genece!

You've used the FZ10, FZ20 and now the FZ30. In your opinion, is the noise level on the FZ30 better, worse, or about the same as the FZ10?

At normal photo print size I'm sure it's not a problem for any of these cameras, but I'm interested in the maximum size I can reasonably enlarge to. I currently print A4 size from my 4MP FZ10. Should I expect to be able to print A3 from the 8MP FZ30, or will the noise level ruin this?
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:37 AM   #6

A3 is what 12 X 16"?

The noise level will not ruin a print that size...But for the few times I print larger than 8 X 10 I usually run a very low level of Neat Image about 1/3 the default.

And while under good light I find the FZ30 has a little more noise than the FZ10, that does not seem to be the case in less than perfect light.

The New processor must help there, I honestly feel that the noise is not an issue.

anomaly wrote:
Quote:
Hi genece!

You've used the FZ10, FZ20 and now the FZ30. In your opinion, is the noise level on the FZ30 better, worse, or about the same as the FZ10?

At normal photo print size I'm sure it's not a problem for any of these cameras, but I'm interested in the maximum size I can reasonably enlarge to. I currently print A4 size from my 4MP FZ10. Should I expect to be able to print A3 from the 8MP FZ30, or will the noise level ruin this?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:24 AM   #7

the fz10 and fz30 are little noise than the fz20
plop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:32 AM   #8

joao_pedro wrote:
Quote:
I have my FZ20 which i love, for a year now, and i know that the new panasonic is out, but is it really worth to replace my FZ20 for the new FZ30? are the changes that good? or it´s better to wait a year more to the new generation of digital cameras?

Thanks in advance
You could probably skate by with your FZ20, and a wait and see attitude might be prudent, because some of the manufacturers haven't come out with anything that different in a while, and just might up the ante a bit soon. B U T, will anyone come out with anything as good as or better than the 30? The O N L Y issue in my mind (other peoples minds really I don't think it's an issue) is the noise issue. It seems every camera has something no one likes. This one has everything just about right. If you shoot a lot of high ISO, low light, action shots, you'll be disappointed. But I doubt it's much different than the 20 for noise really. You WILL notice (as I did) you'll be happier when you crop, for the extra pixel real estate. It does make a noticeable difference. That and the increased speed, better evf, lcd, andof course the fun factor make for a good reason to buy this IMHO. It's a wonderful high tech toy! Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:24 PM   #9

Thanks to you all for the feedback ... ... i think i´ll wait a few more months and see...
joao_pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:11 PM   #10

from all i've read, the FZ30 offers some nifty handling features, like the flip-out LCD, better control positioning, and higher resolution displays, but at about $650 US, it doesn't do what a good camera should do - take good photographs - any better than the FZ20 which costs $200 less these days.image quality (including noise level)is no better, just bigger. if you want more megapixels and a few extra horns and whistles, go for it... but i'm holding on to my FZ20. when Panny - or whoever - brings out a medium resolution camera (5-7MP) that offers zoom and opticscomparable tothe FZ20 with a "clean" sensor and low noise to ISO800, i'll be all over it, but i see no sense in trading in my perfectly good FZ20 for something that won't perform any better where it counts...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote