Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:39 PM   #1

Hello everyone. I am new to digital photography (photography in general actually). I hav ealways enjoyed snapping pictures but feel it is time to learn more about it. I have had my FZ5 for a few months and really enjoy it. Here are a few pics I took in NC.
Attached Images

scottdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:50 PM   #2

Sorry I have only posted here a few times and still working on mastering the resizing. I will try andmake them smaller.

I hope this is better.

Attached Images

Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:57 PM   #3

If anyone wants to let me know how to put multiple pics in a post please speak up. Any advice at all would be appreciated actually.

Attached Images

Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:59 PM   #4

last one and my favorite.
Attached Images

Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:38 PM   #5

The lighthouse photo looks pretty good except possibly slightly underexposed. Nice use of sidelighting.

The beach picture needs to be straightened out - your horizon has a significant slope. Great dramatic clouds. Looks underexposed.

The monument also looks underexposed.

Your favorite is a cutie, but underexposed again!

Are you using matrix-focusing, spot-focusing or what? You seem to be having some difficulty getting enough light.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:20 PM   #6

I like # 1 & 4. That lighthouse really looks like a monster next to the house. Very cute little child. Nicely done.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:42 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum, Scott. My family and I vacationed on the Outer Banks every summer for about 25 years. Haven't been back in a few years but Bodie Light and the Wright Memorial were frequently visited. Your pics bring back fond memories. I'm sure my kids sat on that same live oak branch.

Most resized shots require some sharpening and these are no exception. What software are you using to resize?

The monument steps exhibit some barrel distortion. Was that taken at full wide (ie, 1x zoom)? This can frequently be corrected by increasing the zoom a little.

To post multiple shots you need to have the images already posted on another sight that will allow free access to viewers. Pbase and smugmug are popular ones and cost about $30/yr. Your isp may give you 10mb or so to use to upload photos, etc. You then paste the address url of the jpg file using the Image Insert button on the top right of a new post or reply.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:45 AM   #8

I was actually going to post asking what software is good to use. Right now I only have the Arcsoft software that came with the camera. I didn't do anything to these pictures.

What software do you recommend? I know Photoshop is a popular one. I was on the Adobe site yesterday and saw that it is about $600. I am not sure I am ready for that level of commitment.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:30 PM   #9

scottdg wrote:
Quote:
What software do you recommend?

My favorite is Polyview. Excellent resizer /sharpener and general all around viewer. $30 registration. Trial version complete except for printing - used to be at any rate. A good freeby is Irfanview. Maybe not as easy to use as Polyview but a better editor.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:33 AM   #10

If you are using windows, try www.picasa.com. It's free and does a very good job.
everettf is offline   Reply With Quote