Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:45 PM   #11

Maybe it is just my eyes...but looking at your photo I am surprised that your camera is as new as it is...it looks like it has been bashed about a bit..quite worn in places etc. Did you drop it or something? That might cause a tiny chip maybe come off insde the camera lense set-up?
I am not accusing you of having done anything to your camera but just surprised how much wear and tear there seems to be on it already.....

jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 3:22 PM   #12

nah its never been dropped, Ican't say the same for the FZ10 and 20 I have. But so far the FZ30 has not fallen.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 4:02 PM   #13

Gene

Sorry to hear about the fault with the FZ30 - I did see a post on dpreview where someone else had purchased an FZ30 and the cam had developed two small round specs behind the main lens. I think Panasonic should simply replace your camera - it has a fault plain and simple. Tazzie's idea of firing a letter to panasonic is a good idea and can get results - it may also be worthwhile getting all the Panasonic forums to sign some kind of petition like the Apple Ipod battery case.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:31 AM   #14

I just wanted to do an update on this, as some may want to consider what has happened.

I sent 2 letters to people at Panasonic and made 3 phone calls to others ...so far no response.

I changed my request to (would they stand behind the camera if this developed into something serious after the warranty expired) and I got no answer.

While I really like the FZ30 and hope it will last me untill something better comes along, I think its my last Panasonic anything.

I am in the process of getting a HDTV and I crossed Panasonic off that list also.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 7:10 PM   #15

That's too bad it goes like this with certain companies and I will say that I don't find fault with anyone who has this kind of experience to want to go elsewhere.

So far the FZ30 is a mixed bag at best and the availability of Pana cameras have become less and less.

Hope in the long run your current purchase of the FZ30 continues to bring good if not great results.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:27 AM   #16

Gene,

I don't agree with those that say your defect is "cosmetic". You correctly point out that the foreign object might get dislodged and end up on the sensor or other critical part and therefore an ounce of prevention is in order.

Self repair is also not a good idea because it voids your warranty.

Like you, I believe that complaints should be taken seriously by suppliers and that not answering the complaint only makes things worse. As in most life pursuits, persistence is the key so perhaps a strongly worded letter to Panasonic in Japan is in order. I'm sure Panasonic USA people don't like the idea of their corporate office hearing about such poor customer service and particularly poor treatment of customers who buy direct.

P.S. Thanks for posting your complaint....now we're all better informed of the attitude of camera manufacturers towards their paying customers. As for me, I just keep using my road-weary CP4500 swivel camera and keep my money in my pocket despite the temptations at the glittering camera shops in Jeddah. :shock:

Steve Walter from Asmera, Eritrea

Steve Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:10 AM   #17

Thanks fellas that was all I wanted was to make people aware of Panasonics attitude.

My camera is working fine and I hope it continues to until someone else make a camera as good as the FZ30.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:40 AM   #18

I have brought my FZ20 with me in hard conditions environments, both of weather and dirt.

There are some minusclke particles in my inner lenses (I see them when the lenses are at WA): these must be dirt or coniphers's (pines, firs) tree 'pollens'.

Thus, unless my cam has some defective part or hole, the inner part of lenses is accessible to dust.
I hope CCD is not, for particles there would be visible on the pictures as more pixels' spots, whereas the few dust particles on inner lenses are not.

If I was you I wouldn't risk sending back the camera, for it is not defective.
But as someone else has noticed the lens of your FZ30 is very dirty: where have you brought it?

Sincerely

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 11:36 AM   #19

Genece,

There used to be a forum member here called Panasonic Bob (I believe that was his handle).

I have not seen his posts for quite a while, however.

You may want to PM him about your FZ30.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:34 PM   #20

There is a way to get dirt in a FZ20, where the lens retracts, but I always had an adapter and filter or another lens on, and I had no problems.

But with the FZ30 there is no way to get dirt in the interior of the camera that I can see.

My lens is not dirty ..you were just looking thru a filter that I guess I should have wiped off before taking the Photo.

But the camera goes everywhere ...thats what they are for, and its also what has so far kept me from getting a DSLR.

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
I have brought my FZ20 with me in hard conditions environments, both of weather and dirt.

There are some minusclke particles in my inner lenses (I see them when the lenses are at WA): these must be dirt or coniphers's (pines, firs) tree 'pollens'.

Thus, unless my cam has some defective part or hole, the inner part of lenses is accessible to dust.
I hope CCD is not, for particles there would be visible on the pictures as more pixels' spots, whereas the few dust particles on inner lenses are not.

If I was you I wouldn't risk sending back the camera, for it is not defective.
But as someone else has noticed the lens of your FZ30 is very dirty: where have you brought it?

Sincerely