Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:09 PM   #1

I just have to do this as I feel Panasonic is not willing to treat me fairly.
I bought a FZ30 from Panasonic USA on the 2nd of Sept.
And I love the camera and I am sure most of you are tired of me telling you that.
But the camera has developed a foreign object inside the lens.
Here is a photo showing the object inside the red circle it seems to be a piece of metal but it does not move. And while at this time it does not seem to show up in the photos I still think it should be taken care of.
I had a photo of the lens showing a thin Hoya filter mounted and it clearly showed that the speck was not there on the 10th of Sept. but I have discarded that photo.

Here is the reply from Panasonic USA about the speck and I do not feel that is a good option as I am sure there are no parts available for repair as I have tried to purchase another lens hood and was told they will not be available until November.
I feel Panasonic should replace the camera but they refuse.
So while I was waiting for their 4/3rds camera , that has all changed.
Heres their Email

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry. We are unable to replace the model at this
time. The camera will have to be checked by our authorized service
technician. Please send your camera to the Independent Authorized Service
Center listed below.

Bigston Digital Service
1590 Touhy Avenue
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
1-888-439-2676

Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support
Maybe I am being unfair but I think their response sucks.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:57 PM   #2

hard to tell from the photo what the speck is, but frankly, unless you can show that it is caused by a manufacturing defect, and that it'simpairing the function of the camera, it's awful hard to make a case for replacing the camera. Panasonic's response may not be what you wanted to hear, but i don't think it's unfair. cosmetic defects that were not present when the camera was new are not usually enough to warrant replacing an item under warranty, and since it doesn't appear to be hurting anything, and isn't causing any malfunction in the camera, you really don't have any grounds to demand a new camera.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:40 AM   #3

Gene.............

You already know what your camera is capable of. Sending it in to be cleaned or replaced could compromise quality.

Here's a wild thought: How 'bout gaining access to an FZ-30 service or shop manual which would give detailed steps to remove the front lense or at least loosen it enough so you could use a can of compressed air to dislodge the particle? :!:

PALADIN
Attached Images

Paladin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 8:07 AM   #4

The speck or whatever, is inside the camera.(behind the Lens)Would seem to me that its not my fault. And That also does not seem to be a cosmetic defect.

the camera is working fine now but when and where will the next piece of junk they left in the camera show up somewhere worse,( center of the lens or on the sensor)

And Thats the reason I do not want to send it for repair.. if the Mfg process is screwed up imagine what the repair service would be like.

And I am sure had I bought the camera from a reputable dealer they would resolve the problem ...unlike Panasonic.

I do not think I want to try a repair myself.

I really have been treated better by other camera mfgs. So that appears to be my only option, I feel bad about that, as the FZ cameras are great cameras and fill my needs nicely, but I imagine this will be my last one.

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
hard to tell from the photo what the speck is, but frankly, unless you can show that it is caused by a manufacturing defect, and that it'simpairing the function of the camera, it's awful hard to make a case for replacing the camera. Panasonic's response may not be what you wanted to hear, but i don't think it's unfair. cosmetic defects that were not present when the camera was new are not usually enough to warrant replacing an item under warranty, and since it doesn't appear to be hurting anything, and isn't causing any malfunction in the camera, you really don't have any grounds to demand a new camera.

Old Oct 1, 2005, 8:55 AM   #5

genece wrote:

Quote:
And I am sure had I bought the camera from a reputable dealer they would resolve the problem
Where did you get the camera and how long have you had it?

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:15 AM   #6

Fred I purchased it from Panasonic USA on Sept 2nd , thats what gets me more than anything.

I did not mind paying the big bucks to get the camera from what I thought would be the best place to get one.

Someone at dpreview got one from J&R with a defect and J&R cross shipped the replacement. and 1 day shipping to boot.

Live and learn I guess.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:36 AM   #7

genece wrote:
Quote:
Fred I purchased it from Panasonic USA on Sept 2nd , thats what gets me more than anything.
I agree, Gene. I think a 30 day return/exchange policy for defects is the norm and to be expected, particularly when you order direct from the manufacturer. Live and learn indeed. Panasonic has demonstrated a few times that they are not in the business of customer satisfaction. I would hope Panasonic Bob is still monitoring these forums and will take note.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:00 AM   #8

Gene, then at this point an e-mail to the head pres. or V.P. of marketings camera division would or should instantly gain your satisfaction. Give it a shot.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:11 PM   #9

Gene

Sorry to hear about your problem, and I agree with you on the way you are being handled. I also am getting very frustrated with this company. I wanted to get the 30 as well, but not without looking at it first hand.

In the US, Panny cameras are generally no longer available in any National big box store. Not, Circuit City (where I got the 3 and 20), Best Buys, Walmart etc. They are available at many locations on the internet, but they are not going too far on that. Sony, Fuji, Canon, Nikon, Oly, Kodak and so on are all avaiable in the big box stores nation wide.

I can't get to see, touch or feel one. For me and I think most consumers this is a total show stopper. I can't imagine where Panny marketing has it head. FZ30, LX1 etc... can be the greatest cameras in the world, but you can't have a presence if you don't sell it.

Once they have a presence, as with the FZ 3, 5, 10, 15, and 20. then we can talk about noise, PF and all the rest. Until then it is all trivia.

I don't mean to imply that the US is the only market in the world, but if they market the rest of the world like they market to us, forget it, they will always be a bit player in digital still camera's.

I am now considering other options, and they don't include Panasonic. I am thrilled with the 2 Panny's we have, but these Bozo's are totally out to lunch.

Now ... I feel better. Didn't mean to bore you.

BTW, as a long time reader of this and other forums, I want to thank you for your many, many contributions. I have learned a lot from you.

I wish you the best of luck on resolving this issue.

Best Regards .... LarryB
Larry Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:55 PM   #10

The FZ30 is one great camera but Panasonics Public Relations are not going well.

And I would imagine that has a lot to do with the big chains ignoring them.

I imagine they can well aggravate the big wigs of the major stores, if my case is an example of what Panasonic considers fair treatment.

As I say I am sorry about this as I liked all the FZs I have had ..and the FZ30 is really a step above. But while I was waiting to see what the 4/3rds camera was going to be ,I imagine my SLR will not be a Panasonic.