Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:07 AM   #1

I have a dilema I purchased a Z5 on the 5th Sept and I am happy with the results the camera gives me.

My only concern is that the camera feels a little on the small side and I canot help but think that the lightness coupled with the plastic that the camera is made from makes it feel a bit toylike,

I purchased from a dealer in the UK who will take the camera back within 30 days if I am not totally happy(that 30 days is up on Monday).My question is would the Z30 be a significant upgrade in picture quality from the Z5,I would think that it will certainly be a step up in build quality due to its larger size and weight.I have to decide what to do by tomorrow can anyone offer advice please.

Are there any Z5 owners out there who have upgraded to a Z30,if so was it worth the upgrade.
kbfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2005, 1:39 PM   #2

it'd probably be a good step up in terms of features and handling, and the Z30 will offer you more roomto crop or make bigger prints, if that's what you're looking for, but i doubt verymuch you'd see anyimprovementin image quality.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:45 PM   #3

Once again, the smaller size (and priceif that's a factor)is the only reason toopt for the fz5. I prefer the samaller fz5. The fz30 has many more features but, other than the obvious increase in detail of the 8mp vs 5mp, is not noticeblydifferent in quality.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:21 PM   #4

You should make a trip to the camera shop, have a close look at the 30. If what you're shooting does not require the extra cropping ability, and you are happy with the range of the 5 then I would say keep the 5. If you want to expand your horizons as you go farther along the exciting road of photography, go for the 30 while you can still get your refund for the 5. My instincts lean toward recommending the 30 based on my experience with it. I moved up from a 5 MP as well. Will the shop give you the same courtesy using the 30? If you used it for 30 days would he allow you to step back to the 5? If so, then for sure it's a no brainer. Good luck, best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:38 PM   #5

No matter how good any camera is I know from my experience if I don't like the way it feels then I probably won't use it much if at all.

You stated how it feels to you and your personal observation on its build quality.

That in itself would be enough to at least try another camera if you have the opportunity to do so.

One can be creative with any camera. Some cameras may give you more options and latitude but you are the one that makes or breaks getting that image.

Megapixels are overated and most people are not going to print 20x30 prints.

FZ30 so far looks good but not much beyond what the FZ10, 15, 4, 5 and 20 can do.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:17 AM   #6

I know I'm repeating myself, but this is definately worth hearing again. I F you crop two identical shots (except for pixel count) from two cameras say a5 and an 8 MP...you'll see immediately just how much more you can crop and still have a nice pic...with 8 MP as opposed to 5. For a lot of what I do I'm glad to have the extra. (I'd be happier with 10 mp...but...) so, independant of printing huge prints, yes...you can still benefit significantly from a higher MP count. Quality difference at 4X6 with no cropping, will likely be zero. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 4:05 AM   #7

Thanks for the resposes guys.

I am going back to the shop later today and feel what the 30 feels like in my hand.If it feels better I will probably swap out the camera and go for the extra pixels and features that the 30 has over the 5.

Another thing that the 30 has from reading other reports is that the evf is brighter and clearer in low light shots.I had noticed with the 5 that on dark shots the evf image is almost non existant and you need to shoot nearly blind or use the lcd.

My only worry on the 30 is the extra size,while I feel that the 5 is a little small i took out my canon EOS650 35mm film slr last night (haven't used it for a couple of years) and held it in my hand to compare.

The size of the 30 is about the same as the canon with a 35/105mm zoom fitted but the 30 is much lighter.However the size is an issue, it would be nice if the 30 was a little smaller, sheesh!! you can't win can you.
kbfern is offline   Reply With Quote