Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:18 AM   #1

Hi all..

as I don't have any chances right now to improve the sharpness and level, would you help showing methe improvements post processing could bring? I'm going to get either PSP or Photoshop, which one is better for our photos?, your opinions are very important, thanks.

-dian-

All these photos only resized or cropped

Attached Images

dian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:19 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:21 AM   #3

dragon fly in flight

Attached Images

Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:57 AM   #4

I don't think much can be done to the first two pictures. I have taken bird shots with lighting like that and have never been able to get an acceptable picture. Maybe someone with excellent PP skills can do something more. I use PhotoImpact 8 which I purchased for about $10.00 and I also have PS Elements 2. I find PhotoImpact easier for me to use so that is the one I use the most. Which software you buy is probably dependent on how much effort you want to put into learning it. From what I have read PhotoShop is one of the best but has a higher learning curve then most and PS Elements has almost everything PS does at a much lower cost You might want to download demo packages and try them before making a purchase. There are also many good free software packages available.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:30 PM   #5

Thanks many much for the input Tcook, I have tried the PS CS2 on my friend's pc, I think the noise filter in that CS2 is good enough (buttoo expensive:roll, what about noise reduction on the PS elements?,is itstill the old despeckemode?, it make the images look very soft..

Maybe I should try the free stuff at first. :G
Old Oct 1, 2005, 1:03 PM   #6

For noise reduction I use Neat Image as do a lot of others on this forum. I am trying a program called FxFoto and it has a lot of neat things including photo editing processes. You can do a lot with the free version and the full version is only $30.00. For me, it will not completely replace PhotoImpact but it will compliment it. It is a small download so you have nothing to lose by giving it a try. On thing though, when installing it I would not let it scan for pictures and become my default for opening pictures. That's just my preference.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 1:47 PM   #7

you can improve almost any photo with some careful PP. i ran your first shot through just a couple of one-click fixes in Picasa2, and it definitely helped. i sometimes use Photoshop, too, but in this case Picasa was quicker, and it's a free download, if you're interested... as to which is better between PSP and Photoshop, i only have Photoshop 7.0, so i can't offer a comparison, but in my experience, Photoshop will do almost anything you'd ever want to do to a photograph... and probably a few things you wouldn't!

your first two shots would also have turned out better with a little exposure compensation...

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 1:53 PM   #8

here's the second one after a quick adjustment in Picasa...
Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 6:11 PM   #9

dian, Took your photo and made a quick trip thru Photoshop CS, to give you a sample of what it can do. Jim
Attached Images

tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 3:15 PM   #10

Thanks Tcook, Squirl033, and Jim for the very useful advices and helps.Your resultsare better and very promising eventhough the pics are already difficultto tweak.

A lot of softwares.., surely a very tempting choice for me, but I'll try some.., next chances I'll post the results.

thanks

-dian-