Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:48 PM   #1

Simon over at Dpreview has posted his review of the LX1. The review is here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoniclx1/

A few quotes from the conclusion :

"It has, without doubt, the best manual controls of any camera in its class, and the Leica lens is undoubtedly sharp..."

"You can tease some amazing results from the LX1 at low ISOs if you're prepared to do some work - specifically shooting in raw mode and tweaking the parameters in Adobe Camera Raw."

"To release a camera so obviously aimed at the serious photographer, to add so many usable manual controls, to put a razor-sharp Leica lens on the front and then to drop in a chip / processor that is so noisy you can't use it above ISO 100 is quite simply unforgivable. It's like buying a Ferrari and discovering it maxes out at 55 mph. "

Do check the sample gallery - some of the ISO80/100 shots are just spot on. In my opnion the review is balanced and I could tell from it that for a P&S compact the LX1 is near enough perfect but let down by the noise at ISO200/400. As Leica have just announced the D-lux 2 which is their version of LX1 (in my opinion it even looks better and I never thought it would) it'd be interesting to see where Leica may be able to address the noise issue esp at ISO200.

Steve any idea when we're going to see your review on the cam ?

Cheers

HarjTT

:?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2005, 11:25 PM   #2

Hopping he will also run it through the gauntlet. Would love to see how it would handle the Restraunt, Childern Slide but mostly on that killer brick building! Have seen a lot of cameras go down in flames on that shot!

Except for the church shot the others really show what it can do. And it can really do! Even look at the one owners fuji shots and even the leica little girl shots.

Been looking at one person raw ISO400 and not bad! looks better than the jpeg by a country mile.

Going to be intersting if the leica does anything more. But ok if the same!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 12:13 AM   #3

Yesterday look around at few store for LX1, selling around US$550 to US$600. Very nice camera , but still considering to get either LX1 or FZ5. Since LX1 only have 4x Optical zoom and FZ5 have 12x. But price for FZ5 only around US$400. Any suggestion:?
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:41 AM   #4

Well there is talk that the Lecia will have a spotter scope adapter... Still a no show in the states!
Old Oct 2, 2005, 7:06 AM   #5

Just read through all the review, seem LX1 big problem is the noise, even in low ISO
Old Oct 2, 2005, 1:45 PM   #6

The church pick is a downer. But wondering why when he took the time resting it on a pew. Why he did not force the shutter to stay longer than 1/5 of a second? Even cranked up the exposer to over 3? Those shots are a real pain to do. The rest of the shots are wow from the gallery! Oh well....

Also the comment about raw is right for some odd reason. A raw vs jpeg of a ISO400 shot is like night and day. There is a ISO400 shot floating over there of a fat tree trunk. And also a Glass pumpkin. Darn good looking shots in raw. The person has some other shots at ISO80 in dim light that are greate.

Wondering now if there is a bug in the conversion to JPEG. JPEG are subseptable to sharp edge changes. One reason Animation DVD have the bit rate higher to prevent this or they slightly soften the sourcet a bit. I am always take care esp on any video I do wit any noise what so ever when converting to MPEG2/DVD format. Wonder if thats is it! All it takes is a small bit of noize and the algorthim just cant take it! Raw is pretty good of the same shot.

Wating to count brick and look at siding on the restraunt.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:40 PM   #7

More sample photos are available here:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa.../gallery.shtml

I had an LX1 on order but I changed my mind. I like the features and the size, but the images just didn't move me, mostly because of the noise and partially because of the color. A silver FZ5 is on it's way to my doorstep right now.
BruceMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 2:45 AM   #8

Yeah, what I also like for this LX1 is the size and feature.
Seem like LX1 is failed production or have somebugs :roll:
Maybe I should wait for LX2