Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 1, 2005, 7:18 PM   #1

This a PRO method from 35mm SLR days the important aspect is that the wrapping of the LH around the lens barrel gives great control and stability over the camera.

It works best with the hood adaptor and hood attached because of extanded grip

The worst thing to do is grip each side of the body with your fingers

MY method will work with the FZ30 it has a long lens barrel however the lack of power zoom is a minus IMO with this model.

With the FZ1/2/3/1015/20 using my grip method allows great stabilty and at the same time you can focus / zoom in or out super fast .... you can't do that with the FZ30 to zoom or out you need to break your grip then regrip .... slower

My old thread with pics on the grip...........

It will need practice but onced mastered it seems natural

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2005, 7:37 PM   #2

John

Thanks for posting !! In my opinion its one of the best tips ever posted on the forum. If you've never tried this technique you should and boy does it really work esp when your using ISO100 or lower and at low shutter speeds 1/15s - 1/20s in low light.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 7:50 PM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
John

Thanks for posting !! In my opinion its one of the best tips ever posted on the forum. If you've never tried this technique you should and boy does it really work esp when your using ISO100 or lower and at low shutter speeds 1/15s - 1/20s in low light.

Cheers

HarjTT

Cool Harj I had no idea anyone actually used it.... LOL.... glad you mastered it and it for sure its paying dividends in with your museum shots.

John
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:49 PM   #4

Thanks John for the suggestion with pictures. I've always used the left hand "palm up" under the lens with my elbow planted in my chest, but I'm going to try it your way with the hand clutched around the lens and see if it works better.

Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:35 AM   #5

Hi John - I'd like to add one more tip for FZ users for sharper photos -

When shooting at low shutter speeds I have found that setting for repetitive (burst mode)shots (L) gets a second shot without the camera shake from pressing on the release. The second frame is almost always sharper than the first. This is because the button is already down and the shake stabilized. I can't remember where I picked up that tip from, but think it was from the dpreview forum. - Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:59 AM   #6

tswill2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi John - I'd like to add one more tip for FZ users for sharper photos -

When shooting at low shutter speeds I have found that setting for repetitive shots (L) gets a second shot without the camera shake from pressing on the release. The second frame is almost always sharper than the first. This is because the button is already down and the shake stabilized. I can't remember where I picked up that tip from, but think it was from the dpreview forum. - Tom
Thanks Tom, that's another great idea that makes total sense.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 2:29 PM   #7

I usually hold the barrel of my FZ5 lense with my left hand for stability and to counteract moving the camera too much when pressing the shutter. This works a lot of the time and if shooting sideways I can not imagine being able to do it any other way.
I presume this is the same way of holding it as you explain. And yes it is the best way to hold especially when having the lense adapter thing on...

inho of course.
jussiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 6:08 PM   #8

Tom

Thanks for the tip - I'd have never thought of that!

Cheers

HarjTT

:G :? :|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 6:11 PM   #9

Hiroshi wrote:
Quote:
Thanks John for the suggestion with pictures. I've always used the left hand "palm up" under the lens with my elbow planted in my chest, but I'm going to try it your way with the hand clutched around the lens and see if it works better.
That too is a good method and is often taught.