Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:00 PM   #1

Just spotted this new Safari gallery for the F30 on the lumix website - taken by Johan ELzenga a few landscape shots and lots of wildlife. Pretty impressive esp the buffolo shot but it would have been even better to download the shots and print them out.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...ery/index.html

HarjTT

:blah:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:01 PM   #2

Some of those are amazing...why can't I do that?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:35 PM   #3

genece wrote:
Quote:
um... maybe because you don't live in Africa? i suspect most of us, with a bit of practice and a good FZ camera, could take some KILLER photos if we could only GET TO the places we see in galleries like this... i know if i had the time and money to spend my life traveling around taking pictures, i'd for damn sure have a HUGE collection of shots to share. unfortunately, most folks are too busy working, taking care of homes and families, etc., to be able to jet off to the Serengeti for a week of photographing exotic critters... don't feel bad, Gene... most of us won't ever get thatopportunity either. but put it on your "to-do-before-i-die" list, as i have, and maybe one day you'll get the chance.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 12:59 AM   #4

No question in my mind. You (and me too) W I L L now get the chance to take some great pics just as good as these. (I really was impressed) I am pleased to see the FZ 30 at work in good hands. Matter of time and practice, it'll come. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:10 AM   #5

I agree with Squirl, we're not in Africa. When I was in Hawaii (with my trusted FZ20) my pictures (as some of you might have seen) looked amazing. Also these cameras look great with a bright light source (like video). Of course Panasonic wants the best looking photos. I wish someone would post photos with more problematic lighting. For instance, when I was photographing in NYC, almost everything was in the shade, so I had to shoot at ISO 400, it was a fairly unpleasant experience being that the pictures didn't come out so good. And it was daylight! I always thought cameras wouldn't have trouble in daylight. But those alleys in Manhattan can be fairly dark. Of course I rectified that problem by getting a Canon 20D also in my arsenal. But I am curious what would happen when you use the FZ30 in dimmer lighting situations, esp. in program mode, I wonder how it would handle it. I will find out (so that was a bit of a rhetorical question) on Tuesday when I pick up the camera. I already ordered batteries and SD cards. I probably should start a separate topic, but which are the fastest cards. It looks to me like the Panasonics, but they aren't making 1 gig cards yet.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 3:49 AM   #6
Di

Hi Guys

I've just bought the FZ30 ............. now I'm trying desperately to learn how to get the best out of it :O. Had an Olympus C770 before so this is a step up. If anyone has any good tips and advice I'm all ears!

Cheers

Di

Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 1:10 PM   #7

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Squirl, we're not in Africa. When I was in Hawaii (with my trusted FZ20) my pictures (as some of you might have seen) looked amazing. Also these cameras look great with a bright light source (like video). Of course Panasonic wants the best looking photos. I wish someone would post photos with more problematic lighting. For instance, when I was photographing in NYC, almost everything was in the shade, so I had to shoot at ISO 400, it was a fairly unpleasant experience being that the pictures didn't come out so good. And it was daylight! I always thought cameras wouldn't have trouble in daylight. But those alleys in Manhattan can be fairly dark. Of course I rectified that problem by getting a Canon 20D also in my arsenal. But I am curious what would happen when you use the FZ30 in dimmer lighting situations, esp. in program mode, I wonder how it would handle it. I will find out (so that was a bit of a rhetorical question) on Tuesday when I pick up the camera. I already ordered batteries and SD cards. I probably should start a separate topic, but which are the fastest cards. It looks to me like the Panasonics, but they aren't making 1 gig cards yet.
Nancy, they make up to 150x cards these days, but the FZ's typically transfer data at only about 5MB/sec, i believe, so you don't need anything more than 45-60x tops to avoid stalling in burst or continuous mode (60x = ~9MB/sec). i've had really good luck with the Kingmax 60x cards from Newegg.com. They're very reliable and plenty fast - even though you can get faster cards, there's not much point to it, and you'd only be spending more than you need to. Newegg sells 512MB 60x cards for under $30, and 1GB for about $53. heckuva deal - MUCH cheaper than Panasonic- and their service is excellent.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:48 AM   #8

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Just spotted this new Safari gallery for the F30 on the lumix website - taken by Johan ELzenga a few landscape shots and lots of wildlife. Pretty impressive esp the buffolo shot but it would have been even better to download the shots and print them out.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...ery/index.html

HarjTT

:blah:

Nice site but I find the pictures in the blue tone with a soft

focus.

Which picture is more pleasing? Picture one or picture two? You need a good screen to see the color differences.

Which one is Panasonic which one is adjusted?

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:07 AM   #9

If all goes to plan I will be in Africa next year and Hawaii later this year so I will be able to test this theory out. It will be a trip of a life time so I am really wanting to upgrade my FZ10 before then, but what to...

Treemonkey

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
genece wrote:
Quote:
um... maybe because you don't live in Africa? i suspect most of us, with a bit of practice and a good FZ camera, could take some KILLER photos if we could only GET TO the places we see in galleries like this... i know if i had the time and money to spend my life traveling around taking pictures, i'd for darn sure have a HUGE collection of shots to share. unfortunately, most folks are too busy working, taking care of homes and families, etc., to be able to jet off to the Serengeti for a week of photographing exotic critters... don't feel bad, Gene... most of us won't ever get thatopportunity either. but put it on your "to-do-before-i-die" list, as i have, and maybe one day you'll get the chance.

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:06 PM   #10

Can't tell from the monitor I am using Lovelife.

I will say that the photo (from the website)is excellent as far as the model and the detail in this shot. The lighting is pefect to me.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote