Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:37 PM   #1

I witnessed something interesting today.* A co-worker tried a regular blue Lexar SD card (definitely not high-speed) and was able to rattle off at least 30 shots with the Infinite burst mode on her FZ5 without any delay at all.I would have thought that it would only be possible with a high speed card (I have 32X and a SanDisk Ultra II) but was wondering if others had similar experiences or if there is another test that would more clearly show the difference between high-speed and normal SD cards with this camera.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2005, 11:21 AM   #2

A lot of cards are much faster than they claim. I have one of the original Panasonic cards that was rated at 2mb/s and it is as fast as any card I have in the FZ cameras.

I also have a Dane electric rated at 10mb/s and it sucks.

There is a fellow on another forum that has a 2mb/s Sandisk that works asfast as an ultra 2 in a FZ10 and 20 ,but that is not the norm.

If I remember correctly he bought another 2mb/s sandisk card and returned it for an Ultra as it did not work like his first one.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:21 AM   #3
Administrator

srvsd wrote:
Quote:
I witnessed something interesting today. A co-worker tried a regular blue Lexar SD card (definitely not high-speed) and was able to rattle off at least 30 shots with the Infinite burst mode on her FZ5 without any delay at all.I would have thought that it would only be possible with a high speed card (I have 32X and a SanDisk Ultra II) but was wondering if others had similar experiences or if there is another test that would more clearly show the difference between high-speed and normal SD cards with this camera.
There were only 3 manufacturers of Secure Digital Components originally: Panasonic, Sandisk and Toshiba (there are probablymore now, though).

Other manufacturers (Lexar, Kingston, PNY, Kingsmax, etc.) were just using rebranded components from the "big 3" SD manufacturers.

Lexar used more than one component supplier (as did many other manufacturers). Some of the larger cards were actually using the same components as the Panasonic Cards and were very fast (with their 32x cards always testing the same as the Panasonic Cards in similar sizes).

Some of their cards were using the same components as the standard Sandisk Cards, and were quite slow (so, you'd be taking your chances buying a non-High Speed Lexar card).

Simpletech also used the same fast components as Panasonic Cards in larger sizes (256mb and up).

But, many manufacturers are using faster components anymore (even for their slower cards). That's why it's not unusual to see cards like standard Sandisk Cards that are actually quite fast. Of course, they're not going to tell you that, since then you wouldn't spend the money on their more expensive cards. :=) But, you still have to be careful. You can still get a slow card, as components used can vary between card generations.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:01 AM   #4

I have read elsewhere that the high-speed cards are of littlevalue with picture taking, even in burst mode. It was said that the real benefit of the high speed card is with movies. But, my personal experience with burst mode and my FZ20 and regular speed Kingmax card is that it slows down when using the highest resolution, while at lower (even one level down) it rattles off shots like a machine gun.
corcoj is offline   Reply With Quote