Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:42 PM   #1

Just snagged a Raynox DCR-250 macro lens on eBay for $34 shipped, brand new. Not a bad deal, hopefully it arrives in order...

This will be my first macro lens for the FZ20. I know a lot of people don't recommend this as a macro-beginner's lens, instead pointing toward the Nikon 6T, but $30 is a steal for this lens from what I gather. I know the limited DOF range can be difficult to overcome, but I think I'll be able to get the hang of it, and I look forward to trying it out.

By the way, hello again to anyone who remembers me... I took a leave of absence for awhile since I got married, went on a honeymoon, and have been quite busy since. I have a TON of new FZ20 pics up on my Flickr page though:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sprocket87

Jesse
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:14 AM   #2

Quick question about this lens:

I know it is supposed to be a "universal snap on mount". Will this attach to my Phayee adapter with no additional step rings/hardware needed? And would it attach to both the 62mm and 72mm pieces?

Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:04 AM   #3

Congratulations and welcome back! Agreat lens at a great price. The snap on attaches to 52-67mm, so will attach to 62 but not 72. As you noted, the 250 is a very powerful lens (+8 diopter)with an extremely shallow dof at 12x zoom; maybe only 2-3mm. You can zoom out to about 4-5x zoom without vignetting. That's where I'd start just to get somemore easily focused shots. Practice on coins and jewellry in verybright light. Your working distance will be about 5" from the subject which is another somewhat "negative" factor with such a powerful lens. The nikon 6t +3 diopter lens focuses at about 12" from the subject. Less of a chance of camera shadow.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:54 AM   #4

Fred,

Thanks for the info. It's probably just as well that I attach it to the 62mm section of my Phayee, since it will be *right* on top of my UV filter and therefore as close as possible to the lens. I currently have the 72mm section added as a pseudo-hood, but it won't bother me to remove that at all.

Yes, the information you just added about using the DCR-250 is in line with my expectations. Actually, I did quite a bit of research on the lens before starting to bid, and your specific posts about the DCR-250 are what educated me about it and 'sold' me on it. I realize it is a trade-off, but I think that being able to back down to around 4x-5x zoom with minimal/no vignetting will give me enough working room. I suspect that in the end I'd rather have the most power that I can (for a reasonable price), and that the 6T would ultimately prove disappointing, despite it's initial convenience.

Thanks for the great info now and in all your past posts about this topic - they specifically answered my needs. Hopefully I'll have it shortly and be able to post some results

Jesse
Old Oct 11, 2005, 3:02 PM   #5

Okay it arrived today, packaged in (of all things) an empty Entemann's "Little Bites" mini blueberry muffin box!! :roll:It was quite mangled andlooked as if it was literally about tofall apart in my hands. Not to mentionI ordered itover a weekago...

Anyway, the lens appears in good shape, the Raynox packaging was superior enough to the seller's own and sufficient. I'm at work so I only had about 3 minutes to pop the lens on my FZ20 and try it out. All I can say is... WOW! This thing is stroooong! I could get easy impressive macros without vignetting at the ~4-5x zoom range. However, I haven't yet been able to even FRAME a shot at anything higher than ~6x or so (it becomes a blurred mess and I can't nail down the focusing). I even switch it to manual focus, opened it up all the way and left it static, and moved the camera out slowly, but still couldn't achieve focus. :sad:

But like I said, I only played with it for a few minutes. Any tips to try out (Fred, I'm looking at you ) so I can get some better results tonight when I get home would be great! Thanks!

Jesse
Old Oct 11, 2005, 5:37 PM   #6

Practice on coins and jewellry in verybright light. Your working distance will be about 5" from the subject. Bright florescent light is usually good enough for this. Start at 4x and gradually increase zoom. If you lose focus, move the camera slightly closer or further. You'll get it. Have fun!
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:42 PM   #7

Jesse, Keep posting your results and what you find that works best as I have the same lens on order and be very interested in your results. Fred's comments should be very helpful also! Thanks, Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:05 AM   #8

i've had good results with the dcr 250..must of my shots i use a tripod with the flash and f stop set at 8 with a shutter speed of 200..start off at 6x and slowly increase the zoom to max..in reality i think this lens is better then the 6t

jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 6:02 AM   #9

jazzmaster221 wrote:
Quote:
i've had good results with the dcr 250..must of my shots i use a tripod with the flash and f stop set at 8 with a shutter speed of 200..start off at 6x and slowly increase the zoom to max..in reality i think this lens is better then the 6t

Stronger +8 vs. +3 yes. Better, that is hard to quantify.
FZ10 CRing Adapter, 62-52mmCring and Nikon 4T same as 6T. I have found thatthe the end to end sharpness allows me to back off on the zoom and pick up a pinch more DOF. I can then crop zoom in PP.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:47 AM   #10

jazzmaster221 wrote:
Quote:
..in reality i think this lens is better then the 6t
The dcr250 is without a doubt an excellent lens and having almost 3x the power of the 6t (+8 diopter vs 2.9) could be considered the better lens. But IMO the 250's focus - or working -distance of 5" (which is, of course,predetermined byit's diopter power)is too short for general macro use. The 12" focus distance of a +3 diopter lens (4t, 6t, b-macro, etc) is the better all around choice.

I've managed to accumulate the 250, b-macro, 3t (+1.5) and am expecting the minolta #2 (+4.8 diopter)any day, so I'm pretty macrofied. Maybe I'll run off some comparisons with those lens on the fz5.