Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:40 AM   #1

Having bought a dslr 3 months ago and unloading my fz20 right after, I soon found myself missing my old camera. For some situations, I wished I'd keptthe FZ20, so I surfed ebay, and low and behold, bought myself a used FZ15 for a heck of a deal. Got some extra goodies with it that I never bothered to get when I had the fz20. Actually, the 15 is the model I initially wanted last year, but they didn't sell it in Canada, so bought the 20 instead. After using the new used model, I gotta' say I really like the 15. In this camera, at least, the white balance problem and the yellow casting doesn't seem to be there, and the iso 64 setting is a treat. There is noticeably less noise in this camera than the 20, and iso 400 is evenveryusable. Anyway, I won't bore you any more with my ramblings, but post a picture instead. I shot this using the sepia setting yesterday and thought it worked quite well. Cheers..........thekman.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:03 AM   #2

I too have the FZ15 and like it a lot. I am considering upgrading but after reading you post I definately will not be giving up my FZ15. I like the sepia tone, good shot.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:08 AM   #3

tcook wrote:
Quote:
I too have the FZ15 and like it a lot. I am considering upgrading but after reading you post I definately will not be giving up my FZ15. I like the sepia tone, good shot.

Thanks tcook. If I could say anything to anyone who upgrades to a dslr or other camera from their fz's. DON"T SELL YOUR FZ!! The versatality of these cameras is so great. I've almost resigned myself that I won't be botheringbuying any fast long reach lenses for the dslr. Too much weight and bother after using the FZ. I'll take my chances on getting a good bird shot with the fluzie. Cheers......thekman.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 1:41 AM   #4

thekman, that's a lovely shot and the sepia works quite well on this one. Kudos and welcome back.

Hiroshi
Hiroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 2:17 AM   #5

Great shot the sepia works well for the subject it looks loke a yesteryear scene
the FZ15 never came to Aus its a great camera and by all accounts has low noise.
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:00 AM   #6

Welcome... I also felt the FZ15 was a fine camera but I wanted the hotshoe and I could not see not moving to the FZ20 from the FZ10.

A Question ....for someone considering a dslr would you elaborate on which camera you chose and how you feel about your decision now?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:02 AM   #7

Other than the hot-shoe and sound I don't remember there being any sensor, or other recording differences between the 15 and 20. I can't see why a 15 would be less noisey. Oh yes, the 4Mp versus the 5. Thats the reason. There are times I wish I'd had a chance to get the 15 instead of the 20. You really lucked out. Odd they killed the 15 and limited its distribution when they did.

welcome back. nice photo posts.

Like Gene, I wondering how your DSLR experience has been and would like to here your views.

Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:05 PM   #8

genece wrote:
Quote:
Welcome... I also felt the FZ15 was a fine camera but I wanted the hotshoe and I could not see not moving to the FZ20 from the FZ10.

A Question ....for someone considering a dslr would you elaborate on which camera you chose and how you feel about your decision now?

Thanks for the welcome back guys. Genece, I bought the Pentax istDS. It, like all the other dslr's, is a very good camera. It was the best deal at the time, and I'm not loyal to any brand, so I bought the Pentax. One big plus- it's capable of using all kinds of lenses that Pentax has put out the last 30 years. Manual k mounts, screw mounts etc. All kinds of lenses on ebay for very good prices. Bought a manual 50mm- f1.7 prime for $20 U.S. Also, the viewfinder is nice to use. Image quality is top notch, and low light shooting is where it excells. If I'm going to shoot one specific thing, and not walking all over the place (as I'm apt to do), I'll use the dslr. But if I'm going to hike around the woods or city, I think the FZ is a better option than lugging around the extra weight and lenses. Different tool for a different job as they say. Anything that I shoot indoors will probably be with the dslr-a fast prime and high iso makes it possible to not have to use flash a lot of the times. And if I don't need the reach, I'll use it also. I have a longer slr lens, and find it a pain in the a__ when on a walkabout. I don't think the cheaper slr lenses with reaches of 18 or 28mm to 200+ mm's, are going to get you any better quality photos than the fz. They're generally slow, not that sharp and focus poorly in low light. I tried 2 different lenses-one a pentax fa 28-200mm, and found it ok in good light, but susceptible to flaring (even using a lens hood), and poor focusing in low light. I have a Sigma 70-300mm and it's ok, but not very sharp at the long end, where you actually need it. Also tried a fast f2.8 80-200mm tokina, but found it too heavy(3.5 lbs!), and suffered badly from ca's until the f stop was shut down to 5 or lower (why carry all that weight?). The Pan-Leica lens isquite agood lens. Hard to believe they could make a camera at such a low cost with such a fast sharplens. As far as noise goes between the 15 and the 20, I do find the 15 to be a little less (iso 64 compared to 80). But fewer pixels on the same size sensor is probably the main reason. But it's not that big a deal between the 2.I see a biggerdifference between the 30 and the 15 or 10 from Steve's test photos and others that I've veiwed. I would love to have the resolution of the 30, but think I'll wait and see what's down the road next year.........thekman.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:24 PM   #9

Thank you I appreciate your experience.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 2:12 PM   #10

welcome back tman :|.

I look forward to more of your wonderful B.C. landscapes and sunrises/sunsets.
suze is offline   Reply With Quote