Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 9, 2005, 12:53 AM   #1

How useful is the manual focus and zoom in practice? I really prefer manual control to automatic systems most of the time and from the sounds of it the FZ-30 has about a perfect system for a non SLR .. however I've never used a manual digicam focus or zoom, and I'm wondering if it's actually practical in reality given the limitations of the LCD viewfinder.

Is it true this model is not USB 2.0? That seems odd.

Battery life seems to be a weak point with this model, what kind of life are people seeing on a single charge?

Does anyone know the max SD capacity it will accept? I can't find any literature on this, I'm assuming it depends on whether it formats in FAT or FAT32.

It's either this camera or a significantly less expensive Canon S2-IS for me, the effectiveness of the manual focus and zoom are really the cincher.

lebaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2005, 3:25 AM   #2

The manual zoom and manual focus are indeed two of the best features of this camera. For subjects that are still, where you want the shot as chrystal clear as you can get it, you will use the manual zoom and focus. Manual focus makes the image magnify greatly in the efv so you can see a highly detailed up close image of what you are focusing on. When you are satisfied with the focus, remove your grip from the manual focus ring and press the shutter. Just before you snap the shot, the image jumps back to the (smaller) size at which you zoomed it to, and you capture that image. It works real well for macros, as well. This particulair evf is about as clear as they come at this stage of the technology, and it works very well IMO. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 8:36 AM   #3

lebaige wrote:
Quote:
How useful is the manual focus and zoom in practice? I really prefer manual control to automatic systems most of the time and from the sounds of it the FZ-30 has about a perfect system for a non SLR .. however I've never used a manual digicam focus or zoom, and I'm wondering if it's actually practical in reality given the limitations of the LCD viewfinder.
Quote:
If you are use to manual focus I imagine you will be fine with the FZ30....Just to add that the autofocus is faster than the manual focus at least for me but the ability to prefocus on a spot or to pick a bird out of a tree are invaluable.
Quote:
Andthe manual zoom is a very useful and functional feature
Quote:

Is it true this model is not USB 2.0? That seems odd.
Quote:
I believe that technically it is USB2 but not full speed so in reality it is USB1..but the only thing that affects is the transfer to the computer. And you would be foolish not to us a card reader for that.
Quote:

Battery life seems to be a weak point with this model, what kind of life are people seeing on a single charge?
Quote:
You can easily get several hundred photo on a charge, of Coors it has to do with how much reviewing you do on the LCD.
Quote:

Does anyone know the max SD capacity it will accept? I can't find any literature on this, I'm assuming it depends on whether it formats in FAT or FAT32.
Quote:
It will accept the 2gb cards and they are FAT16
Quote:

It's either this camera or a significantly less expensive Canon S2-IS for me, the effectiveness of the manual focus and zoom are really the clincher.
Quote:
The FZ5 is better than the S2 and the FZ30 is much better.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:42 AM   #4

Just quickly, in point form:

- Manual focus on the FZ range is excellent. Very easy to use. The FZ30 improves over the FZ10 by offering a mode where the whole LCD is magnified (not just the centre). I've only used the FZ30 in a store, but the zoom instantly felt right. I had my FZ10 with me at the time, and its powered zoom was slow and unresponsive in comparison.

- USB 2.0 can be as slow (or even slower) than USB 1.1. The USB consortium's marketing department consists of brainless imbeciles. That's all I can put it down to. If you want real USB 2.0, you have to buy something marked as USB 2.0 Hi-Speed. Incredibly, USB 2.0 Full-Speed is only USB 1.1 speed. The one brain cell in the head of the marketing person who did that to us must be very lonely indeed.

- Battery life seems OK on my FZ10, and the FZ30 should be a bit better (slightly bigger battery, no power wasted on zooming). Then again, I own three batteries, and use them in rotation. Biggest day ever, I just scraped by on 3 batteries, but it took longer to recharge me than the batteries!

- The FZ30 is the best in its class. So says dpreview. After taking some test pictures in a camera shop, I agree it captures more detail than any similar camera, though I'm still a bit worried about the noise level (you can't get an outdoor shot in a camera store, and that's where the whole FZ series works best).
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:04 PM   #5

Another small insight. I agree fully that transferring from flash card to reader is just so much more efficient. Mere seconds and you are done! In addition, you won't risk setting your camera somewhere unstable with cords dangling from it just inviting gravity or clumsy mammals (human and otherwise)to present you with a disaster.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote