Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 10, 2005, 2:18 AM   #1

Hello All,

This is my first real post to this forum so have mercy on any mistakes.

I've got a FZ15 I've been using for around 1 year.
Using a Raynox 64 to 52mm lens adaptor.

Protective Filter: 52 mm L37c Nikon Filter (Haze Filter)
Circular Polarizing Filter: 52mm Tiffen

When I use the polarizing filter stacked on the Nikon filter I get a lot of vingenting in the upper and lower left hand corners.

I travel to SE Asia a lot and the conditions are such that I like having a protective filter over my lens. But I also enjoy the effects of a polarizing filter but would prefer to stack them. It's just more convenient.

My questions:

1) Will using a bigger lens adaptor allow me to stack filters without vingenting? Option would be a 62mm adaptor, so the filters will all be 62mm instead of the 52mm I'm using now?

2) Would changing my polarizing filter to a 52mm thin polarizing filter allow me to stack it on my Haze Filter and eliminate the vingenting?

If you're wondering, the reason I went with the 52mm adaptor is because I've got so many 52mm filters left over from all my SLR cameras.

Sideline question:
Has anyone tried the Moose Polarizing filter? It looks like a good one but would like to hear some real world reviews.

TIA,

Geno

Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:04 AM   #2

A 62mm lens adapter will allow you to stack the filters, as maybe if you had 2 thin 52mm filters would,but I do not have those to try.

I am sure you have already figured that the best way is to remove the UV filter when using the polarizer.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:24 AM   #3

Genece is correct. a 62mm adatper will let you stack more than one filter should you need to do so. i havea Phayee adapter on my FZ20, with a UV filter which i leave on all the time to protect the lens.i can add my standardpolarizer (not the extra-costly "thin" type) with no vignetting. short of removing your haze filter every time you want to use the polarizer, the only way to solve your problem is to either buy a 62mm adapter, or get a bunch of very expensive "thin" filters. That or be willing to change your composition style a bit so you don't use the wider lens settings, i.e. under 2-3x.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:32 PM   #4

Thanks, you both confirm that what I was thinking is true.

I'll try a 62mm adaptor. A much cheaper alternative to those thin filters.

Being from the old school, I like having a UV filter on to protect my lens. Prefer not to hassle with taking it off to use a polarizer.

Thanks a million.

Geno
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 7:23 PM   #5

Geno wrote:
Quote:
Being from the old school, I like having a UV filter on to protect my lens. Prefer not to hassle with taking it off to use a polarizer.
i'm with you... especially with the FZ's where you cannot replace a damaged lens...

you're near Seattle too - looks like we're neighbors! relatively speaking, of course...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:37 AM   #6

Yeah, I just got a Phayee 62mm adapter for my FZ10 and I am very satisfied with it. I can even attach the 55mm lenses from my FZ1. I strongly recommend for you to get this or a similar adapter with a UV filter, this adapter would solve your problems. As far as using a 52mm in front of the FZ15 I don't know but I think is cheaper (and it looks cool too) to have a proper 62mm lens adapter with a cheap polarizer, linears work just fine for our cameras!
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote