Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 10, 2005, 3:06 PM   #1

I was cruising through my favorite online retailer, newegg.com. A while back I sent them an email asking if they were going to carry any more than just P&S models of Panasonic (I was in the market for the FZ20 at the time). They said they were going to add the FZ20 but I don't think they ever did. I was looking on there today and found that they have added the FZ30.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830134030

I've decided to buy the FZ30 when I get the proper funds together and have been scoping all the usual online suspects for the best place to buy. The ones I like are out of stock or too expensive. The ones that make me nervous have it and at a good price but I don't like taking that gamble.

Newegg has the 30 listed for $563 which is pretty darn good and I trust them. Now it's just a question of when they will have them in stock.

BTW, I eventually purchased my FZ20 from Circuit City at the time they had some online rebates. I really liked the ability to go into the store and feel the camera out before buying. We don't have Fry's electronics where I live so circuit city is it. I haven't visited the stores lately but circuit city don't list the 30 on their website which tells me they aren't even carrying it. Has anyone seen a the FZ30 in a circuit city store?
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:55 AM   #2

Got my FZ20 @ Circuit City about a year ago. I took out their credit card 2 pay for it, so I was looking forward to putting the FZ30 on it, as well. I don't think that they will carry it. I believe that Panasonic got wise to the fact that the camera is way more than a p&s camera, and I think they are just letting the pro camera stores, and the online retailers carry it. BTW, I love Newegg as much as the next gal (or alpha male) but their price is way higher than butterflyphoto or digitaletailer which is $528. The only complaint I had heard about Butterfly photo was that they call you to try to sell you more stuff. I just purchased my FZ30 from them, haven't received it yet. But did get the phonecall. Was looking forward 2 it actually, b/c I wanted to purchase the warranty and couldn't find it online. They asked me about purchasing batteries and filters, but I told them I was set and they didn't push it, at all. And you gotta remember they heard a sweet little girly voice on the phone. So, unless my package shows up chewed up by Cujo, I will endorse this online store. And my first choice was B&H photo, and I was willing to spend $100 more for the cam but they were out of stock, and with all of the jewish holidays, I just got it online. I am so psyched to receive it. I already got my filter and a spare battery from digitaletailer, but beware the battery is a power2000 and they are charging $60, it's a rip off. Get them at B&H for $29. If anyone is interested further in my experience with getting the camera from Butterfly, or anything else feel free to pm me (private message) b/c I sometimes don't follow up on my posts (I usually can't remember where I posted, and am too lazy to check all of my posts in my profile). Take care, and good luck! Nancy
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 9:11 AM   #3

I hear what you are saying but considering that circuit city carries some of the basic entry-level dslr's I was hoping they would carry the 30 (maybe if it proves to be popular enough or if Panasonic makes it worth their while to get it into retail store space).

I agree too that butterfly's price is pretty hard to beat. I guess I have to decide if my comfort level in buying from newegg is worth $40. I'll keep an eye on it and if they run some sort of shipping deal, it could cut the difference even more. I'm mostly worried about returning the camera should something happen more than anything. I'm not concerned that butterfly's gonna just take my money and a sale call doesn't worry me much either.

I'd still like to be able to get my hands on the 30 before buying but that may not happen.

[edit] newegg appears to have stock now. :-)
Old Oct 11, 2005, 2:31 PM   #4

I have been doing business with Newegg for quite a while and have ordered dozens and dozens of items from them.....they are the best, IMHO, no doubt about it!

May I suggest going to any store that has the FZ-30 and put your fingerprints on it. Then go home and order it from Newegg. You will not be disappointed in their pricing or their service.

PALADIN

One of the many things I've built with parts from Newegg.
Yes, it does have wheels and a front brake! I've been thinking about installing headlights and taking it to DMV to get plates for it..............

Attached Images

Paladin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 3:24 PM   #5

ahhh another modder! I too have ordered thousands of dollars from newegg.

You can check out some of my projects here for a site I write for

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2004...edia_pc/1.html
http://www.bit-tech.net/article/115/

nice work paladin. I'm dying to get my hands on the 30 but I don't know of any local stores that carry it. I'll just get one on faith from reading some of the other members here and the fact that I love my 20.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 3:53 PM   #6

Nice work your ownself Eddie! :-)

If you love your 20, you'll be willing to kill (if necessary) to protect your 30!

Instant on, 230,000 pixel EVF, manual zoom and focus....just for openers! :?

PALADIN
Paladin24 is offline   Reply With Quote