Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:40 AM   #1

Hello folks,

Does anybody know when the review will be placed for the FZ30? I'm very curious about steve's opinion.

I want to buy this camera but i'm frightened of the noise it will be produce. Will the nois be lesser when you make the picture on 5MPin stead of 8MP. I read that on 5MP the CCD surface is also lesser. Isn't it possible to use the same amount of surface when you picture on 5MP

Greetz,

Machiel
MulderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2005, 1:02 PM   #2

No idea on when the review is due. However, if your in the UK, the FZ30 just beat all of the other prosumer cams (inc. Nikon 8800; KM A2) etc in the Professional Photographer Magazine and recieved best buy status as well. Digital Photo Magazine also gave it top marks for being best prosumer cam. If your not sure, wait until Steve's review and see what the likes of Gene, Lovelife and Nancy can get out of the FZ30.

Cheers

Harj

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 3:54 PM   #3

There are a lot of pics from members already posted that have the 30...me included. Just search thru the Panasonic forum, go back a few pages. You'll see lots of them. Speaking strictly from my own experience, this is a camera that has a lot of great ideas built in. Without a lot of preparation, I was so anxious to start using it, most of the shots I posted are point and shoot, it will give a rough idea of what to expect. Best regards;

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:08 PM   #4

Kenn

Sorry mate - Id forgotten you'd taken the plunge and got your mits on the 30. MulderM - there have been some pretty nice shots from the FZ30 already posted and those being just plain P&S. Do check the forum for shots like KEN said it'll give you some idea of what the cams capable off.

Another on line review you may want to check is here:

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/pan...0/fz30-gen.php

Cheers

Harj

Old Oct 11, 2005, 4:34 PM   #5

I have seen all the pics you folks uploaded (linked) en they all seem lovely. I'm a huge PANASONIC fan, but why are there testers who say that the noise is again a problem? Stupid noise :-)

You only see little noise on higher ISO (i will use only automatic I think for ISO) and by the original sizeand not bij the 10 cm by 15 cm size for example.

But I'm also someone who wants reliability (durability) and than I automatically think "PANASONIC".

All product of PANASONIC are reliable. Or is there someone who don't share this opinion. :G

Some noise in uniform colour areas. Is this true ???

Machiel

MulderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:00 PM   #6

Hi Mulder

I think the FZ's have always been ISO50 to 200 digicams with ISO 400 if you really need to use it. If you want the best from the FZ30 then I would not use the FZ in automatic mode but rather in fully manual or Aperature or Shutter priority with the whitepoint/balance being set to automatic. If you've ever seen any of the pictures that I've posted they have always been shot at ISO50/100 and at ISO200 when I have needed to and always in manual mode.

For the best results I would shoot in RAW, and depending on the lighting at ISO80 to 200. If you decide on shooting in Jpeg - set the saturation, contrast and sharpness to low and set the JPEG quality to HIgh and the NR to low as well.

There is noise but in my opinion its about the same as the FZ20 and in good light Id say it was slightly less. What you'll find is that with some pictures if there is noise in some shots it can play in your favour esp if you convert the picture to B&W.

Cheers

Harj

Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:41 PM   #7

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mulder

I think the FZ's have always been ISO50 to 200 digicams with ISO 400 if you really need to use it. If you want the best from the FZ30 then I would not use the FZ in automatic mode but rather in fully manual or Aperature or Shutter priority with the whitepoint/balance being set to automatic. If you've ever seen any of the pictures that I've posted they have always been shot at ISO50/100 and at ISO200 when I have needed to and always in manual mode.

For the best results I would shoot in RAW, and depending on the lighting at ISO80 to 200. If you decide on shooting in Jpeg - set the saturation, contrast and sharpness to low and set the JPEG quality to HIgh and the NR to low as well.

There is noise but in my opinion its about the same as the FZ20 and in good light Id say it was slightly less. What you'll find is that with some pictures if there is noise in some shots it can play in your favour esp if you convert the picture to B&W.

Cheers

Harj

I'm thinking this is basically good advice. There is a wide parameter when it comes to choices using this camera. To start with a basic point and shoot on auto everything isn't a bad place to start. I'm betting that before long, you'll be reading the above quote again, and using this info as a guide. The noise issue, if you happen to be very very unforgiving, might concern you, but from what I read and from my own experience, it isn't an issue for most users. The higher iso will yield a useful, tho not perfect,shot in less than ideal light, but for most of us those shots will be times when we'll gladly have that pic even tho it may have some noise, than not have it at all. It is not incomparable to many digital cameras in that regard. There are so many great shots on this forum, members whose cameras are all Panasonic, it wouldn't be risky to have faith that your results will be comparable. The member Harj is pointing you in the right direction. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote