Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:43 AM   #1

I always used my el cheapo free tripod that came with a Canon camcorder that I purchased. This used to be fine.....until I mounted my Sunpak 383 on the FZ20. I tilted it down a bit and almost had a heart attack when the whole camera w/flash slammed down to the front of the tripod. Then I realized the damn thing has no vertical lock or tightening mechanism.:?

I dont want anything real expensive, just something simple that will let me vertical lock the camera in position so I can point it down a bit to take my pics and not worry about it flopping over.

Thanks. :-)
dengar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:59 AM   #2

Newegg.com has a nice selection of tripods:

I purchased a SLIK 3-way tripod from them several months ago:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830996702

I got it for my point-and-shoot Pentax Optio, but now I have the FZ20 and it works great with that too! It's plenty strong and has tightening every which way. It should be quite sufficient, and it's just $20 shipped.

Plus you can't go wrong with Newegg

Jesse

sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:41 AM   #3

Since you subject line says good tripod i would suggest something from the B/M line.

I can say that after 3 tripods that were all junk ranging in price from 30 dollars to 100 dollars I got one and realize I should have got one a long time ago.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

This is just one of their less expensive ones that may or may not be what you would like but I can say the quality will be very good.

You can spend less or a lot more. I just want to vouch for their quality. and I feel quality is important especially for long zoom cameras.

You said something about pointing down , like maybe for macros, if solook at their pro line of the same tripod it has a nice feature for macros but adds weight if your a hiker.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:48 PM   #4

If you're looking for a high quality tripod w/o going into debt, try this Ebay seller. I've bought four different tripods from him and
never been disappointed.

Well, since I can't post a link, do a search on Ebay and look for item # 7553877589 to get an idea of what I mean. The seller's name is 2DreamMaker.

I have no connection with him at all. I do know he's a pro photographer and I can recognise quality when I see it.

Good luck,

PALADIN

[align=right]
[/align]
Paladin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 2:30 PM   #5

dengar69 wrote:
Quote:
I always used my el cheapo free tripod that came with a Canon camcorder that I purchased. This used to be fine.....until I mounted my Sunpak 383 on the FZ20. I tilted it down a bit and almost had a heart attack when the whole camera w/flash slammed down to the front of the tripod. Then I realized the darn thing has no vertical lock or tightening mechanism.:?

I dont want anything real expensive, just something simple that will let me vertical lock the camera in position so I can point it down a bit to take my pics and not worry about it flopping over.

Thanks. :-)
I think you have the correct tripod manufacturer but wrong model I suggest the Sunpak 9001UT.

You do not need to spend so much money on a tripod with a fancy head. That is unless you are doing movies. Here is a trick to make the tripod feel and act like a 10-pound unit. The center column on the bottom has a female thread. Screw a screw eye in the bottom and attach a bungee cord to the eye. Just loop the metal hook on the other side into s slip loop. Now when you are ready to take the picture step into the loop and push it down to the ground. The benefit of this choiceis it will spend less time in your closet because you won't mind taking it with you. I had it on my trip to the middle east I used the bungee cord to make a large sling and carried it on my back. $40.00

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

HTH
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:07 PM   #6

Boy lovelife we differ on this deal ...I have that tripod ....JUNK.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:16 PM   #7

genece wrote:
Quote:
Boy lovelife we differ on this deal ...I have that tripod ....JUNK.

We do not have to be on the same page on all issues. The fellow wanted something reasonably priced tripod. Why do you consider it junk?

BTW, I think we also disagree on multi-coated filters vs. dual coated models. Cut up lens hoods with snap caps vs. Collapsible rubber hoods with lens caps on a tether. This does not mean that I do not respect you and many ofyour wonderful ideas.

Old Oct 12, 2005, 4:55 PM   #8

Well put I guess, I just did not want the person to have to buy 4 tripods to get one that is smooth and sturdy, like I did.

And yeah, while I have some rubber hoods for lens ,I do not think much of them for on the camera.

And filters do really seem to stir up everyone.

You do not like my lens cap.. now that suprises me.

Happy shooting :|
Old Oct 12, 2005, 5:20 PM   #9

genece wrote:
Quote:
Well put I guess, I just did not want the person to have to buy 4 tripods to get one that is smooth and sturdy, like I did.

And yeah, while I have some rubber hoods for lens ,I do not think much of them for on the camera.

And filters do really seem to stir up everyone.

You do not like my lens cap.. now that suprises me.

Happy shooting :|
Not the lens cap I have no specificproblem withthat. It is chopping the lens hood. I am a fanatic about deep lens hoods and protecting the front element from ambient rays. These are the light beams that bounce all around and wash out images. Zoom lenses are especially vulnerable to ambient light. Many people shoot FZ without a hood and wonder why their pictures are lifeless. My old photography teacher used a lens hood at night to stop light bounce off streetlights etc. Tulip hoods in general are a weak design because it is a compromise with corners cut out to stop mechanical vignetting. The old FZ20 hood I believe could rotate to block the direct sunlight especially when shooting in portrait mode but then you had to increase the zoom to overcome the new angle. The FZ30 hood can't rotate. I am afraid that the only hood that does a somewhat decent job is the Hama style hood. If I had to choose between an expensive filter and a hood it would be the hood. Filters cannot control ambient light.