Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:40 AM   #1

Just got my FZ30 today from butterflyphoto.com. I do highly recommend them. Really great experience and customer service (any questions on this feel free to pm me).

B4 I got the camera I was becoming obsessed with getting batteries for it being that I couldn't believe that Panasonic didn't release the batteries yet. I usually shoot btw 300-500 photos in a shoot, and knew I needed at least one additional battery to start. Got two different batteries. One on e-bay for $25 and the other from digitaletailer (which was a serious rip off at $59 for a Power2000-but they hint at it being an actual Panasonic battery so I bought one).

Here's the thing. The Panasonic battery (which comes with the camera) says: 7.2V and 710mAh. The Power2000 battery is also at 7.2V but 1000mAh (I believe the mAh is how much energy the battery stores, so the higher the number the longer the battery life, c'est vrai???) Although with my NiMh Power2000 batteries (AA), even though the mAh is much higher, I find they run out way quicker than my Olympus and Varta batteries with a much lower mAh number.

Here's my potential problem: the other battery that I have, from Techstep is a 7.4V battery (at 800mAh). Shouldn't it be 7.2V? Will having a battery of a slightly higher voltage mess up the camera? On the battery it says, "for Panasonic BMA7". I also found another site, canadian, that hasa different brandbattery specifically for the FZ30and rates it at 7.4V (http://www.batterycanada.com/S006.asp). So is this ok? Can anyone explain why it is or potentially isn't ok? I would really, really appreciate it. Pictures to follow!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2005, 4:52 AM   #2

HI Nancy the diif between 7.2v and and 7.4v is not a problem the camera has inbuilt protection..... A fresh full charged battery is always HIGHER THAN NOMINAL anyways till its under load so then it drops to the nominal value ==== 7.

You can use the FZ20 battery its a little loose but works fine just use a little foam packing to stop it rocking.

Shoot and post some FZ30 pics

John
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:01 AM   #3

Thanks John. As soon as it's light out I will be shooting, and hopefully posting tonight!
Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:49 AM   #4

Best Wishes Nancy
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:54 AM   #5

Can you usethe Power2000 (1000mAh)longer than the originel that comes with panasonic FZ30 (710 mAh) ???

What type-number has the original accu of the FZ30.
MulderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:23 PM   #6

On the Power2000 box it says "ACD-254, Panasonic, CGA-S006, 7.2V 1000mAh". Their website is www.vidprousa.com . That's all I can tell you right now. The battery shoud be able to take more pics, but like I said, I have had trouble with their batteries, not lasting as long as other batteries with lower mAh numbers. We will see. PM me in a few days and I will tell you how good they are after I have used them. Or check my posts.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 4:25 PM   #7

How are the original accu's from Panasonic 710 (mAh)?

MulderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 9:45 PM   #8

For what it's worth, I've been using two of the ACD-254 / Panasonic CGA-S006 / 7.2v 1000mAh batteries from Butterfly Photo and both hold a charge longer than the 710mAh battery that came with the FZ30 ! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 2:00 AM   #9

Good 2 know, thanks Jim! Haven't used up a battery yet. The weather is terrible. Squeezed off only a few shots. Will go upstate this weekend to photograph. Pics to follow....
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:41 PM   #10

On the battery question, I fed the external jack on my FZ30 with everything from 9V down to 6V, and the camera worked fine everytime! I've read other posts concerning the Power2000 batteries, and the gist has been to buy something else. The import FZ10/20 batteries work fine in the 30 and they are much cheaper so you can have 2 of the 700s for the price of 1 of the 1000s. Tom
tswill2 is offline   Reply With Quote