Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 16, 2005, 2:04 AM   #31

Has anyone noticed that you can't have a smaller picture size on the FZ30, without lessening your megapixels?...Now,THAT to me, is a REAL drawback...When I'm doing casual photo's I don't always want to do them in King Kong size...I have a laptop and they take up too much room..............same thing with the extended zoom...lyou have to lessen the megapixels to get the full 48 feet...(so what's the point of having it then?)...The FZ20 and 10 aren't set up that way and don't have that hindrance......Funny thing, no-one ever mentioned those things in all the reviews I read beforehand......:?
cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:23 AM   #32

As for the extended zoom going to 19.1x optical it is made possible by what the Pana engineers developed. I have not heard or know of any other company or camera that does this and the fact it goes down to the 3 megapixel range in order to accomplish thisis still quite impressive. No other camera out there has that kind of range without and add-on lens.

When taking a picture in a smaller size the amount of megapixels used will also be smaller and that is with any digicam.

I may not fully understand your question either so I may be talking into the wind here.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:34 AM   #33

cherub wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone noticed that you can't have a smaller picture size on the FZ30, without lessening your megapixels?...Now,THAT to me, is a REAL drawback...When I'm doing casual photo's I don't always want to do them in King Kong size...I have a laptop and they take up too much room..............same thing with the extended zoom...lyou have to lessen the megapixels to get the full 48 feet...(so what's the point of having it then?)...The FZ20 and 10 aren't set up that way and don't have that hindrance......Funny thing, no-one ever mentioned those things in all the reviews I read beforehand......:?
It has never noticeably degraded a shot of mine...as far as I K N O W. Having said that, I am now going spring out the door tomorrow and reshoot with my tripod...this time W I T H O U T IS even on the second setting. Just to be absolutely sure. Because although I do like the results I'm getting for moon shots, something tells me there's some variable at work here stopping an absolutely razor sharp image. Now, as an ex astromomer, I know it could be many things. Eliminating the IS factor will happen tomorrow. ooops.....ohboy. I just answered a Visionquest post here CHERUB...and I'm too lazy and it's too late to erase and go back. Sorry..sorry, sorry. Er, well um lets just hope Visionquest reads this. Thanks all,:?

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:38 AM   #34

cherub wrote:
Quote:
Ok now this one...something odd is happening here. I bet your software is jigging you around. I shoot 8MP's all day long and view at the same size whether it's 5 or 8 MP or whatever. Give us a little more detail, and lets see if we can reverse engineer whats going on...Best regards,

KennethD
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:46 AM   #35

Count me out on this one. Not sure what is being asked and what is being answered and coupled with it being late and all I may need a vacation from this board for a while.

Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:34 PM   #36

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Count me out on this one. Not sure what is being asked and what is being answered and coupled with it being late and all I may need a vacation from this board for a while.

???? I know. It was late, and I tried to send you a reply but somehow clicked CHerub's for a quote type reply. What I was trying to say to you was that there are a lot of variables which can hinder a good shot in astronomy. (yewzed to be an astronomer, and a lecturer at a Planetarium) Atmosphere, city lights, dirty air (smog) etc. so after reading your remark about IS turned off, I thought, "what's the harm?" And decided to turn it off compleletly tho by the time I got outside last night, It was just socked in with cloud. I may try again tonight and if we don't have too lowwwwww of a temp (minus 6 last night... C) I may drive out of the city to see how much our crummy air affects this type of shot (around a million for population) Anyway, this board absolutely izz a vacation!! And we all want you to stick around. If we all left...????...there'd be no one here!!:lol:Best regards,

KennethD

KennethD
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:41 PM   #37

The reason I mentioned it is I did read it here last year and I tried it and the results I got giving ita go with my FZ10 and FZ20 were much more to my liking.

Just thought it might be something to try since there must be a reason you can turn off the OIS.

I was tired and cranky early AM. Could not sleep so I am here clicking away.

Take Care Ken,

Tom
Old Nov 17, 2005, 5:00 AM   #38

LOL...:lol:...I just love the sense of humor on this board...truly! You guys are the BEST!!

I guess I'm concerned about the graininess (is that a word?)of a lower megapixel shot, since I list my photo'son Shutterpoint for sale.....It seemed pointless to me, to engineer a wonderful camera like the FZ30 and then go "backwards" from the FZ10 and 20, by requiring lower megapixels to get a smaller photo size....you know?

Also, regarding the extended zoom...I was really looking forward to having more "reach" out into my backyard in Winter for photo's (which was great with the FZ10) and then finding that you have to lower the megapixels on that option as well as the picture size.....

Am I making any sense? :? It's already 4am here and I just got home from work......LOL

Thanks alot for your patience and your chuckles!

Shelley
cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 1:09 PM   #39

cherub wrote:
Quote:
I guess I'm concerned about the graininess (is that a word?)of a lower megapixel shot, since I list my photo'son Shutterpoint for sale.....It seemed pointless to me, to engineer a wonderful camera like the FZ30 and then go "backwards" from the FZ10 and 20, by requiring lower megapixels to get a smaller photo size....you know?

Also, regarding the extended zoom...I was really looking forward to having more "reach" out into my backyard in Winter for photo's (which was great with the FZ10) and then finding that you have to lower the megapixels on that option as well as the picture size.....
Okay... I am missing something? As far as picture size is concerned, do you mean the physical resolution size (i.e. 2048 x 1536 for a 3 megapixel image or 3264 x 2448 for an 8 megapixel image), or are you speaking of the amount of information that is capturedon theSD card (i.e. 1 MB or 3 MB or something like that), because those things will be different based on which MP setting that you choose to use.

Requiring lower megapixels to get smaller photo sizes is not a step backwards, its reality on all cameras, and sorry if I'm being rude, but common sense too! Although I may be missing something that you are trying to convey, so don't take me too seriously...

A simple definition of megapixel:
Simply put, a megapixel is equal to one million pixels (picture elements). Digital images are made up of thousands of these tiny, tile-like picture elements. The more pixels, the higher the image resolution. Resolution relates primarily to print size and the amount of detail an image has when viewed on a computer monitor at 100%.

So, are you speaking of resolution size or storage size?

Now, as it's been said on this forum before and on some of the major reviews on the FZ30, the extended zoom just isolates the 5MP and 3MP portion of the 8MP sensor and therefore cropping the shot to the smaller size, but without degradation associated with digital zoom (which btw is completely useless and garbage IMHO). This of course is not going backwards! I have not used it but i can't to! I don't think I'll ever use 8MP images, as 5MP is fine for me...

Does any fo this help?

Nigel

hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 3:56 PM   #40

hitmanx wrote:
Quote:
cherub wrote:
Quote:

Okay... I am missing something? As far as picture size is concerned, do you mean the physical resolution size (i.e. 2048 x 1536 for a 3 megapixel image or 3264 x 2448 for an 8 megapixel image), or are you speaking of the amount of information that is capturedon theSD card (i.e. 1 MB or 3 MB or something like that), because those things will be different based on which MP setting that you choose to use.

Requiring lower megapixels to get smaller photo sizes is not a step backwards, its reality on all cameras, and sorry if I'm being rude, but common sense too! Although I may be missing something that you are trying to convey, so don't take me too seriously...

A simple definition of megapixel:
Simply put, a megapixel is equal to one million pixels (picture elements). Digital images are made up of thousands of these tiny, tile-like picture elements. The more pixels, the higher the image resolution. Resolution relates primarily to print size and the amount of detail an image has when viewed on a computer monitor at 100%.

So, are you speaking of resolution size or storage size?

Now, as it's been said on this forum before and on some of the major reviews on the FZ30, the extended zoom just isolates the 5MP and 3MP portion of the 8MP sensor and therefore cropping the shot to the smaller size, but without degradation associated with digital zoom (which btw is completely useless and garbage IMHO). This of course is not going backwards! I have not used it but i can't to! I don't think I'll ever use 8MP images, as 5MP is fine for me...

Does any fo this help?

Nigel

I'm can't quite figger out what the problem is cherub. Can you just look at your process, go over it and explain it again? I shoot all sorts of 8MP/zoom/zoom attatchments and never have a problem with sizes of any sort. Are you trying to post a full 8MP shot? If you sell your stuff online, some people I've seen post a shot (you'll see it here too) and then resize it to say 800X600 but when you click on it it opens a full size pic in another link or something. Look around the forum in Panasonic I think it's here somewhere...Genec was asking about it and it got explained there...

Kd