Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 17, 2005, 8:57 PM   #41

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
I'm can't quite figger out what the problem is cherub. Can you just look at your process, go over it and explain it again? I shoot all sorts of 8MP/zoom/zoom attatchments and never have a problem with sizes of any sort. Are you trying to post a full 8MP shot? If you sell your stuff online, some people I've seen post a shot (you'll see it here too) and then resize it to say 800X600 but when you click on it it opens a full size pic in another link or something. Look around the forum in Panasonic I think it's here somewhere...Genec was asking about it and it got explained there...

Kd
No offense intended, but i think that both you guys are confused... please don't take that to seriously though...

I don't think cherub is talking about the file size in regards to posting, but in the normal camera functions and capabilities... please reread what i've posted above or search this forum for the same info...

Check out http://www.luminous-landscape.com/ for lots of information regarding digiphotog

Nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:49 AM   #42

I'm sorry if I"m confusing everyone regarding the picture size and the megapixels...I'm talking about "resolution" as in 3560 X 1280 (made those up so don't hold it against me please.......)....

I don't remember who placed the comment about "it's only common sense, and sorry if it appears rude"......but YES, itWAS rude, completely insensitive and very patronizing....I joined this forum because everyone seemed so helpfulwith each otherand I wanted to learn from people who had more experience than I do.... I apologize for my lack of expertise in this field, but everyONE has to start SOMEwhere.......

I thank you kindly for all your invaluable assistance. Sharing knowledge is a wonderful thing for both the "teacher" and the "student", when it's done in the propermanner...I'm sorry if I exasperrated everyone..........

(oh, by the by, my name is Shelley, not Cherub, in case you hadn't noticed...LOL....although if you'd rather speak with my Cat, I'm sure he'd appreciate having someone teach him all about cameras...heck, maybe he'd learn it alot faster)

Shelley
cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 1:47 AM   #43

cherub wrote:
Quote:
don't remember who placed the comment about "it's only common sense, and sorry if it appears rude"......but YES, itWAS rude, completely insensitive and very patronizing....I joined this forum because everyone seemed so helpfulwith each otherand I wanted to learn from people who had more experience than I do.... I apologize for my lack of expertise in this field, but everyONE has to start SOMEwhere.......

Shelley
No seriously, I didn't mean to be rude :sad: I am sorry if it sounded like I was patronizing you, as I really did not mean belittle you... My humblest apologies!

I was just confused about your question. I beleive this forum is a great place to learn about photography and share with peers and get advice... I've gained so much from this forum already and I hope that I haven't scared you away!!!

Cheers, and I'll try to be more curtious next time... but anyways if you read my above posts, it should answer your questions...

Nigel
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 3:09 AM   #44

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
cherub wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone noticed that you can't have a smaller picture size on the FZ30, without lessening your megapixels?...Now,THAT to me, is a REAL drawback...When I'm doing casual photo's I don't always want to do them in King Kong size...I have a laptop and they take up too much room..............same thing with the extended zoom...lyou have to lessen the megapixels to get the full 48 feet...(so what's the point of having it then?)...The FZ20 and 10 aren't set up that way and don't have that hindrance......Funny thing, no-one ever mentioned those things in all the reviews I read beforehand......:?
Ok now this one...something odd is happening here. I bet your software is jigging you around. I shoot 8MP's all day long and view at the same size whether it's 5 or 8 MP or whatever. Give us a little more detail, and lets see if we can reverse engineer whats going on...Best regards,

KennethD
Hmmmm....ok, I read this again. Am 8MP shot WILL take up more storage space shot in high quality, than a 5 MP shot, for sure. But you can adjust the choice in the menu. You can choose a 5 MP shot. Unless you need to enlarge the shot greatly or crop a lot, it will be as nice as an 8 MP shot. That will take up less storage space. Also, shooting in Jpeg as opposed to RAW will condense the pic, that is you can choose the 8MP setting in your choice of quality, (tiff is uncondensed for example but tho the quality is better than Jpeg, takes up more storage space.) I don't get what you mean about the zoom and the full 48 feet...tho. Does this make sense? Panasonic forum is second to none and I've never seen anyone come away disappointed when looking for answers, me included. Be patient, and keep working at this. Someone will point out the solution here...

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:13 AM   #45

Hi Nigel

Thank you for your kind assistance, I really appreciate it....(I was almost "scared" away, LOL, but I'm just plain determined to learn as much as I can about photography and this camera)....I've tried photography books, but I"m a "hands on" type" person and they just didn't work for me.....Everyone here is light-years away from me on the subject and I"m doing the best I can to "keep up" and learn....Some of the things that everyone talks about here areWAY over my head....sigh....do they make a book called "Photography for Idiots"? :-)...I went from a point and shoot to the FZ10 about 2 years ago and have now bought BOTH the FZ20 and the FZ30.....(sounds ridiculous, I know, but I had my reasons...senility might be part of them....ROFL:?)

Will reread your post again tomorrow and see if the explanationsinks in.......It's 3am here and I'm pretty exhausted...

Thanks again!

Shelley
Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:17 AM   #46

Thanks Kenneth! The reason I'm using the 8 mp is for resale purposes of the photo's....It's supposed to "reproduce" better and have better quality to the pictures.....Is that incorrect?

Got to get to bed........will catch everyone tomorrow night.....

Thanks again for everyones wonderful assistance!

Shelley
Old Nov 19, 2005, 10:04 AM   #47

cherub wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Kenneth! The reason I'm using the 8 mp is for resale purposes of the photo's....It's supposed to "reproduce" better and have better quality to the pictures.....Is that incorrect?

Got to get to bed........will catch everyone tomorrow night.....

Thanks again for everyones wonderful assistance!

Shelley
Soundsabout right, but after reading thru the entire separate contributions to this topic, I think for displaying your pics you can resize them, I mean computer monitors will only resolve to finite limits. When you sell a print if it's a real beauty, it ought to be evident even resized to a smaller file size needed to deal with internet limits. But still, keep shooting the full 8MP originals. And if the laptop is getting full, either buy an external hdd, or burn'em to a dvd, and catalog them for easy reference. Then clean them off the laptop. (I do that) Sound like a viable alternative?

Kd
Old Nov 20, 2005, 4:04 AM   #48

Hi Kenneth!

Thanks for all your wonderful help.......yes, I do burn the photo's off onto c/d's, cause I have over 5000 of them.........:roll:....LOL

I have another question about the FZ30..........There are 2 "dials, one in the front and one in the rear, for both aperature and shutter.....Is the one in the front for aperature and the one on the back of the camera for shutter?.....(the instruction booklet is not very explicit with directions, as you well know)...

and just one more question (for today...LOL)....When I reset the shutter speed to 1/800, it seemed the shots got even more blurry... I thought that was a higher speed than 1/30, am I mistaken?.....I take alot ofquick action shots with cats and love to get close-ups (macro) of their tongues out when they wash, what would you suggest the shutter speed be set at?...I had this downpat on the FZ10, but I'm having problems with the 30....

Shelley
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:21 PM   #49

cherub wrote:
Quote:
Hi Kenneth!

I have another question about the FZ30..........There are 2 "dials, one in the front and one in the rear, for both aperature and shutter.....Is the one in the front for aperature and the one on the back of the camera for shutter?.....(the instruction booklet is not very explicit with directions, as you well know)...

and just one more question (for today...LOL)....When I reset the shutter speed to 1/800, it seemed the shots got even more blurry... I thought that was a higher speed than 1/30, am I mistaken?.....I take alot ofquick action shots with cats and love to get close-ups (macro) of their tongues out when they wash, what would you suggest the shutter speed be set at?...I had this downpat on the FZ10, but I'm having problems with the 30....

Shelley
You know, I use them fairly often, but ??? which is which? Just keep your eye glued to the evf and turn one of'em that'll tyel you which one IT is and the other is the other one:lol: easiest way to figger it out. I/125 shutter should be fast enough for a cat grooming itself, but watch the distance if you are using macro...too close or too far equals blurry shot. Also use second setting for IS it will cancel camera shake. Good luck...

Kd
Old Nov 22, 2005, 3:53 AM   #50

Hi Kenneth!

Thanks for the info, that was a tremendous help!....

Another question, if I may? If I'm using Macro and up in my cats face, LOL, as I do quite often, what would be the BEST shutter speed?......I've got to be quick with these shots and don't have time to mess around, if you know what I mean...:lol:

If I wanted to "transfer" a photo onto this website to show you what I mean, how would I go about it?

Shelley