Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:10 PM   #1

Hi,

Still looking over my summer pics I founds some unsorted bird pics. I don't remember why, but I had set ISO 400 on my cam and took bunch of pictures of bar-tailed godwit, and I was really happy with them until I noticed that I took them in ISO 400! Luckily I found it out before the bird flew away so I managed to take several pictures at ISO 80 and what difference it was! I really thought that ISO 400 could be usable, but after seeing these both pics side by side I understood the opposite.
Both are 600x480 crops from original. No editing done.

First picture at ISO 80. Aperture F5.6, Shutter 1/500

Now the ISO 400. Aperture F8, Shutter 1/1000

CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:43 PM   #2

Wow! That is a significant difference. Thanks for sharing the info.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 2:46 PM   #3

yeah, the noise at ISO400 is pretty obvious. easily removed with NR software, but it's a hassle to have to do it. still, for all the other capabilities the FZ20 offers, i'm pretty darn happy with the camera. and i never use ISO400 anyway, even in low light... i prefer to use a slow shutter speed on a tripod or monopod instead of increasing the ISO setting.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 2:52 PM   #4

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
yeah, the noise at ISO400 is pretty obvious. easily removed with NR software, but it's a hassle to have to do it. still, for all the other capabilities the FZ20 offers, i'm pretty darn happy with the camera. and i never use ISO400 anyway, even in low light... i prefer to use a slow shutter speed on a tripod or monopod instead of increasing the ISO setting.
I don't think that NR could save that picture - probably too many details would have been eliminated.
And I also usually avoid ISO 400, but it's really though times for me when I take pictures of people indoors, bucause I hate flash, and 1/4 even on tripod IMO is too slow for people.
But FZ20 still is one of the best cameras for the price you can get and I love it! :-)
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:07 PM   #5

Your right! You can't appreciate the difference until you see them side by side as you have done!
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 5:59 PM   #6

You know, and I still haven't done this, you could take some great street pics, of bums, urban blight n whatnot. Use the ISO 400 and convert to black and white. Your ISO400 pic "noise" reminds me of the very famous Kodak film Tri-X's "grain". True it doesn't look good if you want nice sharp photos of birds or scenic stuff, but for those of you who have taken art classes or gone to art school, you know that the students strive for new and different looks. I'll bet if we gave Steven Meisel the FZ20/30 set at ISO 400 he would come up with some incredible model pics which look grainy, but he would use it to portray a look. I think I will try this as an art project n get back to you guys. Boy, sometimes I got me some great ideas!!!!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 6:27 PM   #7

cera..here is the same pic that you shot at 400 I used noiseware to clean it up..its a great program and its free......

there are Meany custom setting that you can chose from.the one I used is the standard setting......

and also why did you use f8 when 5.6 is the ideal aperture
Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 8:12 PM   #8

I am not saying there is no noise and its not bothering the picture.

Actually the FZ20 is not worse and actually a bit better than some of its compitiion.

Look at Steves test shots of the Sony H1 and the Canon S2. Scarry! Yea the Fuji can do ISO400+. But to me. Paring it with a weak body reduces it.

I also learn to keep it at ISO200 or lower and to use a longer shutter. It produces a much better night shot than doing ISO400+. Saw two shots from a LX1 taken at HK Disney using this method. Wow. They had NR done but came out good. To me ISO400 is a Hail Marry Play. You know you cant get the shot by any other means. So why not go for broke.

But here is the main item..... Really the only item... Nice pictures! You got the shot!
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote