Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 14, 2005, 3:35 PM   #1

I recently bought an FZ20 and when using the auto focus I find the pictures are notcrisp. I need to go in to tweak the focus. Even when tweaking it's quite difficult especially in low light conditions.

Have any of you experienced this and what do you do?
telecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:44 PM   #2

Low light is always difficult. Don't be so concerned if you have difficulties with that. But if it's not focusing in bright outdoor conditions, you have a fault.

If you want to be totally certain, put your camera on a tripod outdoors in bright light, turn off image stabilisation, and take some shots of street signs or other high contrast objects. Use the 10 second timer to be absolutely sure you don't add any wobbles.

If that doesn't produce perfectly focused pictures, I'd say your camera is faulty. However, if it does work properly, then you can start working on your technique. :-)
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 8:33 AM   #3

These are my favorite ways to get the best focus with the FZ10 and 20.

1. Use spot focus at least until you see if the camera is focusing correctly. ( I use it all the Time)

2. Turn Continuous Autofocus off. (At least until your sure it works for you.)

3. Use IS mode 2

4. Whilethese arenot really a focus thing ..use spot or center meter to be sure the exposure is correct on the subject.

5. Leave the ISO set on automatic

6.and maybe use a -1/3 or -2/3 exposure compensation

Hopefully those will allow you to get a good focus ...if so you can then change them to what you may discover are your favorite settings.

And in low light its very difficult to handhold at a 1/6 th second or slower shutterspeed especially if you are using the zoom.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 9:27 AM   #4

genece wrote:
Quote:
These are my favorite ways to get the best focus with the FZ10 and 20.

1. Use spot focus at least until you see if the camera is focusing correctly. ( I use it all the Time)

2. Turn Continuous Autofocus off. (At least until your sure it works for you.)

3. Use IS mode 2

4. Whilethese arenot really a focus thing ..use spot or center meter to be sure the exposure is correct on the subject.

5. Leave the ISO set on automatic

6.and maybe use a -1/3 or -2/3 exposure compensation

Hopefully those will allow you to get a good focus ...if so you can then change them to what you may discover are your favorite settings.

And in low light its very difficult to handhold at a 1/6 th second or slower shutterspeed especially if you are using the zoom.

Ditto and be careful of vertical structures in your viewing frame make sure the spot focus is on your key subject. Yes low light is a problem.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote