Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 15, 2005, 2:23 PM   #11

Jim (or any other fz30owners).

Could you comment on the noise issue with the fz30? I'm trying to choose betwen fuji s9500 and the fz30. From the forum posts I much prefer the fz30 pics - they seem much sharper wheras the fuji pics seem washed out. However, a few reviews comment on the noise of the fz30 photos. Have you experienced any probelms? I like to enlarge my favourite photos to A3.

Thanks for your help,

Chris
wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 2:59 PM   #12

wakeman,

I'm in the same situation chosing in between the Fuji S9500 and the FZ30. However, just now I'll probably go for the FZ30. Yes, more noise from iso 200 and up (similar levels up to 100) but the image stabilizer plus a larger aperturein tele will reduce the need for high iso's. So, high iso'swill only be in favorformoving subjects in low light but to me, that will be a rare target. Anyway, the FZ30 seems to have an excellent image detail level that will allow some filtering in Photoshop if you're really forced to use the higher iso's.

Also, the handling of the FZ30 seems betterthought through and theLCD is a lot better than on the Fuji. And I like zooming without non-extending lens which allows polarizing filters and is less sensitive for dirt etc.

/Per

PeHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 3:54 PM   #13

All excellent shots, thanks for sharing.
dian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 5:07 PM   #14

Wakeman, Noise hasn't been an issue or problem with the FZ30, with me. I upgraded from an FZ20 and haven't noticed any increase in noise. Maybe because most of my pictures are either iso 80 or 100. I have seen some posted pictures in iso 400 where the noise is apparent. But even if the 200 or 400 iso shots have noise I haven't seen any noisey picture yet, that can't be cleaned up with Noise Ninja 2 ! I have a friend that had the Fuji S9000 and we compared our pictures and features...he now has a FZ30 ! The image stabilization is one feature I can't live without. I've taken pictures with the FZ20 holding it with one hand shooting thru the window of a car moving at 70+ mph, and the pictures are rock steady! Try that with a Fuji S9000 ! Hope that helps with your final choice. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 5:09 PM   #15

Thanks for your comments dian. :-)
Old Oct 15, 2005, 5:11 PM   #16

tswill2, Are you saying that you can't open pictures one or two? If so that's strange especially if the others are opening!? Maybe someone else has an answer. Jim
Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:43 AM   #17

Thanks Jim and Per - your comments are very helpful (as are your photos). Looks like I'll be getting the fz30 - as soon as the credit card can stand it!! :-)Will hopefully be posting my shots before too long.

Chris
wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:48 PM   #18

Wakeman, You won't regret your choice! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures when you get the camera! Jim