Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 18, 2005, 11:55 PM   #31

point taken, Jim... for someone who doesn't already have an FZ, the '30 is probably as good a starting point as any - unless price is a serious constraint. the FZ30 does have lots of new features that enhance handling, if not image quality, and i certainly didn't buy an FZ10 when the '20 came out! but then, the '20 and the '10 were virtually identical, while the '30 is different from all the rest of the FZ line. i suppose if i didn't already have the FZ20, i'd be giving the FZ30 some serious thought... along with the Fuji S9000, which from what i hear offers VERY low noise, extended ISO range(80-1600)and 9MP resolution. plus it runs on 4 AA batteries, not expensiveproprietary power cells. downside? it's "only" 10.7x optical zoom, equal to a 28-300mm lens (still no slouch!), and it has no IS that i can tell. nonetheless, with the low noise and extended ISO range, it might well be able to do things even the FZ30 can't...and for about $625, it's competitive with the FZ30... (oops... is it heresy to mention another brand on the Panasonic board? :blah

like you said, though, that's one of the great things about this forum... lots of people with lots of experience and lots of information and ideas to share. i've learned a TON of stuff about digital photography here, not just about Panasonics, and i can't think of a better place for someone who wants to find out more about the cameras and how to use them... like you said, i just want to make sure Armadilloshield - or anyone else reading this -has enough info to make a wise choice...

oh, armadilloshield - the FZ5 is an excellent choice if you're looking for a nice, small, compact cam that will produce very nice images. doesn't have the horns and whistles of its bigger brothers, but it's a great choice for a smaller camera...

cheers!

Rocky

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:10 AM   #32

Squirl, Interesting that you mentioned Fuji S9000, (now were both in trouble!) I just read a review on it today and though it's touted as being a good low light camera, the reviewer stated because it has to raise the iso around 800 to get a low light picture, (with no flash), the picture is only useable if it's printed to 4x6 or smaller! The same applies to it's anti blurring feature, (it has no IS) again the iso is cranked up and again the picture is ok at 4x6". The reveiwer also stated that the picture is quite soft, probably to cover the noise produced by the higher iso setting! (his words not mine). I'll see if I can find the review and post the link for you. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:29 AM   #33

i hadn't heard that about the S9000 requiring such high ISO numbers to get shots in low light... though like any camera, you can probably set the ISO manually, use a tripod, and get good images without a flash... that's certainly what i'd be doing, though if i HAD to shoot handheld, i'd rather have high ISO numbers and get the shot than use a lower sensitivity and miss it. but the FZ20 (and the '30, too, i'm sure) can take some verygood low light shots even without using high ISO settings... here's an example. this shot was takeat dusk, about 20 minutes after the sun had completely set, at 1/4 second, using a monopod and no flash, at ISO 200 (ISO was setto "auto")...the subject isn't the best, but it does show how clear and sharp an image the FZ20 can produce, even in lousy light, if you use it right...

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:35 AM   #34

You would never know that you took the picture in low light! Came out great! I sent you a pm with the S9000 review link in it. I'll add it here also so your sure to get it. Jim

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/
Old Oct 19, 2005, 2:00 AM   #35

Speaking of various cameras the Samsung 815 is now in the stores here. 15X optical zoom, but high end is the same as Panasonics 12X...I realize it's N O T a Panasonic, but thought I'd toss that out if you still hadn't made up your mind, there Armadillo...best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 2:20 AM   #36

Getting more interesting now :-)
Some how I still like Panasonic, maybe because the Mega OIS, and in term of price, is kind of reasonable. Just check few days ago FZ5 selling at U$395 (In Singapore).
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 2:20 AM   #37

Some how I still like Panasonic, maybe because the Mega OIS, and in term of price, is kind of reasonable. Just check few days ago FZ5 selling at U$395 (In Singapore).
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:49 AM   #38

armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
Roger that...Me too. I did raise my eyebrows and read a bit and a bit more about the samsung tho. Pretty intresting reading, but I, like you, really like the whole package in the P'sonics FZ 30. I would never go back to a prosumer without stabilization after the results I have had with the 30. That one feature alone has opened up a whole new field for me.

Kd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:07 PM   #39

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
and the tennis courts. Note that reducing the pictures for posting has lost a lot of detail and quality.
One more thing tiger98, do u take #2 picture with tripod or just OIS do wonder? What is the shutterspeed? 1/2000? :O
Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:21 PM   #40

Armadilloshield, All three pictures were taken in the P program mode. Not sure what the shutter speed was but it was probably around 1/50 (?). Jim