Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:47 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Armadilloshield, All three pictures were taken in the P program mode. Not sure what the shutter speed was but it was probably around 1/50 (?). Jim
aactually, the first was 1/160, the other two were at 1/640 (EXIF info). the OIS probably helped with the first, but the second two were at high enough shutter speed that it wouldn't have made all that much difference.


squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:58 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
tiger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,696
Default

Thanks squirl, maybe I was in sports mode and not program as I first thought !?
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:03 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
armadilloshield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 375
Default

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Armadilloshield, All three pictures were taken in the P program mode. Not sure what the shutter speed was but it was probably around 1/50 (?). Jim
aactually, the first was 1/160, the other two were at 1/640 (EXIF info). the OIS probably helped with the first, but the second two were at high enough shutter speed that it wouldn't have made all that much difference.
you guy are great, yeah agree I think if shutter speed below 1/200 OIS doesn't really matter anymore.
How do read the exif file info, seem the file has been editted with Adobe Photoshop? I can't view any exif info? Any good software to read EXIF info? :idea:
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:32 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Armadilloshield, All three pictures were taken in the P program mode. Not sure what the shutter speed was but it was probably around 1/50 (?). Jim
aactually, the first was 1/160, the other two were at 1/640 (EXIF info). the OIS probably helped with the first, but the second two were at high enough shutter speed that it wouldn't have made all that much difference.
you guy are great, yeah agree I think if shutter speed below 1/200 OIS doesn't really matter anymore.
How do read the exif file info, seem the file has been editted with Adobe Photoshop? I can't view any exif info? Any good software to read EXIF info? :idea:
right click on the photo. at the bottom of the menu window that opens up, you should see "view EXIF". these appear to have been taken in normal program mode.

there was a rule of thumb i learned many years ago relating to shutter speed and telephoto lenses... to avoid blurred images due to camera shake, you needed to have a shutter speed equal to the inverse of the focal length or faster. in other words, a 100mm lens required 1/100 shutter speed, a 200mm lens needed 1/200, and so on.the FZ, with a 430mm equivalent lens, would need at least 1/400 to avoid camera shake, and 1/500 or faster would be better still. the OIS allows you to get clear shots hand held at settings 2-3 stops slower than you could use without it, but at 12x zoom, you should still have a bare minimum of 1/250-1/300 to ensure clear shots.if you've got steady hands, you could probably get away with 1/200, or maybe 1/160... below that, use a monopod or tripod, because even OIS won't guarantee a clear shot. i find a monopod extremely useful for many outdoor shots. it's light, easy and quick, and lets me take clear shots down to about 1/30 using the zoom, and down to 1/4 or so at wider zoom settings (below 3-4x). below 1/4, iuse a tripod and either the self timer or a remote release.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:22 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
armadilloshield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 375
Default

hmmm I seem can't get to see the EXIT info, maybe need some plug-in program.
Anyway I learn something new today about the lens and shutter speed, good to know that :idea:
Thanks Squirl033
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:02 PM   #46
jcr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 152
Default

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
there was a rule of thumb i learned many years ago relating to shutter speed and telephoto lenses... to avoid blurred images due to camera shake, you needed to have a shutter speed equal to the inverse of the focal length or faster. in other words, a 100mm lens required 1/100 shutter speed, a 200mm lens needed 1/200, and so on.the FZ, with a 430mm equivalent lens, would need at least 1/400 to avoid camera shake, and 1/500 or faster would be better still. the OIS allows you to get clear shots hand held at settings 2-3 stops slower than you could use without it, but at 12x zoom, you should still have a bare minimum of 1/250-1/300 to ensure clear shots.if you've got steady hands, you could probably get away with 1/200, or maybe 1/160... below that, use a monopod or tripod, because even OIS won't guarantee a clear shot. i find a monopod extremely useful for many outdoor shots. it's light, easy and quick, and lets me take clear shots down to about 1/30 using the zoom, and down to 1/4 or so at wider zoom settings (below 3-4x). below 1/4, iuse a tripod and either the self timer or a remote release.
Very useful, still learning every day i came to this forum, I love it.

Thanks Squirl once again !!
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:09 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
squirl033's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,720
Default

glad to help! that's what it's all about, after all... sharing knowledge and tips, as well as seeing some great photos...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 5:02 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
armadilloshield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 375
Default

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
armadilloshield wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Armadilloshield, All three pictures were taken in the P program mode. Not sure what the shutter speed was but it was probably around 1/50 (?). Jim
aactually, the first was 1/160, the other two were at 1/640 (EXIF info). the OIS probably helped with the first, but the second two were at high enough shutter speed that it wouldn't have made all that much difference.
you guy are great, yeah agree I think if shutter speed below 1/200 OIS doesn't really matter anymore.
How do read the exif file info, seem the file has been editted with Adobe Photoshop? I can't view any exif info? Any good software to read EXIF info? :idea:
right click on the photo. at the bottom of the menu window that opens up, you should see "view EXIF". these appear to have been taken in normal program mode.

there was a rule of thumb i learned many years ago relating to shutter speed and telephoto lenses... to avoid blurred images due to camera shake, you needed to have a shutter speed equal to the inverse of the focal length or faster. in other words, a 100mm lens required 1/100 shutter speed, a 200mm lens needed 1/200, and so on.the FZ, with a 430mm equivalent lens, would need at least 1/400 to avoid camera shake, and 1/500 or faster would be better still. the OIS allows you to get clear shots hand held at settings 2-3 stops slower than you could use without it, but at 12x zoom, you should still have a bare minimum of 1/250-1/300 to ensure clear shots.if you've got steady hands, you could probably get away with 1/200, or maybe 1/160... below that, use a monopod or tripod, because even OIS won't guarantee a clear shot. i find a monopod extremely useful for many outdoor shots. it's light, easy and quick, and lets me take clear shots down to about 1/30 using the zoom, and down to 1/4 or so at wider zoom settings (below 3-4x). below 1/4, iuse a tripod and either the self timer or a remote release.
Thanks again Squirl033, I got the Exif viewer plug-ins, now I can view the Exif info
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:29 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
tiger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,696
Default

Someone asked in a PM at what elevation I was at when the pictures were taken. It was at the top of Squaw Peak which I believe is approximately 2,850'. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 9:23 PM   #50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 23
Default

were you using a tripod or was the camera handheld?:?
andy0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:10 AM.