Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:58 AM   #1

Being only the third time I have used the camera for action "one chance" shots of our kids, I am extremely disappointed and upset with this outcome! Having taken shots outdoors of softball games action and been extremely happy with my results I was looking forward to this "once off" martial arts expo at achieving the same results. Some of the shots acheived were reasonable results with no action, thus making me think the lighting wasn't the problem. The hall lighting seemed well lit with many open louvres and fluro lighting. What should have been done to achieve the photos I was hoping for? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, re settings? Focus? etc......PLEASE!
Attached Images

plugger43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 5:19 AM   #2

Forsport shots you have to use high shutter speeds to "freeze" the action.

High shutter speeds on the other hand mean, that there must be enough light (which is a big problem indooors) available to get the right exposure.

The EXIF data of your posted shot shows a shutter speed of 1/4 s which is way to slow to freeze the action of moving objects.

If you look at the EXIF data of your outdoor softball pictures you surely will see higher shutter speeds, because there was enough light available.

Bye,

Martin

Manie_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 5:33 AM   #3

:?Thankyou for your reply. Being completely new to this camera and just getting into digital photography, can you please explain (in laymans terms) about EXIF, what it is, and how did you tell what ours was taken in? Also how do we change this?

Thanks, Newbie
plugger43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:04 AM   #4

plugger43 wrote:
Quote:
can you please explain (in laymans terms) about EXIF, what it is, and how did you tell what ours was taken in? Also how do we change this?
From exif.org: "EXIF stands for Exchangeable Image File Format, and is a standard for storing interchange information in image files, especially those using JPEG compression." It shows information about camera settings, time and date, etc for an image. Most image viewers have and exif or camera info reader. Changing the EXIF data (which needs sprecial software) will not change the image in any way.

As mentioned, this shot was taken at way to slow a shutter speed. In 1/4 sec the performers are going to move alot from one position to another. Increasing the shutter speed will reduce the amount of light coming into the camer. There wasn't enough ligh in the gym to do that. Outdoors in bright sunlight, the shutter speed was probably up around 1/500 sec or faster which is fast enough to capture a moving object though not a car.

About the only thing you can do is get closer (preferably no zoom) and use the flash at the hall. That weill get your shutter speed up around 1/100s.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 7:10 PM   #5
spy

Your camera should also have a "sensitivity" setting through the Menu button. Setting this ISO setting to 200 or higher also allows your camera to sense more light and in turn causes your shutter to respond faster. I have experienced the same problem taking pictures of competitive swimmers in an indoor pool with low lighting and because of having to sit up in the stands my flash doesn't really do anything.

An external flash may be what you need. These are much brighter than the flash on the camera.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:50 PM   #6

His shot was already at ISO 200.

Sorry to say but it's just not the right camera for shots like that indoors. An external flash unit would help you but I don't think the competitors will like it too much.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:11 PM   #7

You might also try setting the mode dial to Scene and then selecting Sports that will automatically increase your shutter speed but you will probably still need to use the flash. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 11:36 PM   #8

Sports mode does increase the ISO to 400 I believe so it will require noise reduction.* As much as I love my FZ5, this isn't where it shines (low light indoor action).* Only a DSLR will really work in these situations, and even they will struggle.* Adequate lighting for the human eye (which has remarkable adaptation ability) and for a camera are two totally different things.* Most AF systems will also "hunt" for focus and will often miss in poor light.My suggestion is to set the ISO to 200 (try to avoid 400), and set the shutter speed to something like 1/125 and see what happens (shutter priority).* You can correct a little underexposure but can't correct the motion blur.* Many events may not allow flash photography so an external flash isn't always possible.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:48 AM   #9

The only other thing I can think of is if you were able to go prior to the event with spotlights. I think B&H sells a kit with stands and lights that aren't too expensive. Then the place would be better lit. This looks like standard flourescent lighting. It is your only option. You need more light! Even changing the ISO from 200 to 400 will make the shutter fire at 1/8th of a second, this is still too slow. You could also set the camera to manual and take the pictures too dark, and just increase the brightness in pp. I think this will add noise, though. This is why I bought a dslr. Here is a pic that I shot at KidsDay, where they teach the kids about crime, and safety. This was a karate demo, I had the camera set to ISO 800 and I used the flash (taken with the Canon EOS 20D):

Attached Images

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:59 AM   #10
spy

Here are 2 examples using two different ISO settings, 200 and 400. Picture is of my daugher practicing in an indoor pool/low light situation. These 2 pictures are taken WITHOUT flash as I am to far away for the internal flash to do any good.

First picture settings: Zoom - 12x; F/2.8; ISO 200; No Flash; Exposure 1/8 second.
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote