Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:24 PM   #11

I can confirm that on autofocus the image appears to be sharp even if you do change the zoom while you capture. I experimented and shot several shots that way, deliberately moving the zoom ring while I shot and all shots remained in focus. So, on autofocus, at least, that's not the culprit. Still, if you are consistantly coming up with blurry shots, even with the image stabilize feature on, I'd suspect the camera might not be 100%. From all the other posts from the rest of us 30 users, focus does not seem to be an issue, and would seem to be an anomaly limited to your results, as opposed to a consistent finding across the range of results in other posts. Anything new regarding that issue? Any variable that you've come across that explains it? Or is it still a problem? Just trying to figure it out...Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:08 AM   #12

Thanks for the input, Kenneth and Jim. I was looking at the exif data, and wondering if the blurriness was do to slower shutter speeds. While I was zoomed in a bit, my anti shake was set to mode 2, and my shutter speeds were btw 1/60 and 1/320. The shots where the shutter went below 1/30th I didn't count. I have been playing with the focus, and the camera seems to lock the focus in pretty nicely, when I am in my office (which is flourescently lit). I just can't explain why some of the pics I took upstate are blurry, unless its the stabilizer?
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:55 AM   #13

There are some lacks which one can deal with knowing that only much improved or more expensive technologies could avoid.

Instead when we have to do with functionalities like the ones evidenced in the first post here, they can make you become very angry: because it would have been very easy to make things much more comfortable.
There is no problem to add one more button or more functions to a single button.
Which is nothing of great cost.

FZ10/20/30 can adjust the 2-10 sec autoshot with left pad direction, yet you have to go into the menus to change ISO or Focus/metering type, or, in the case of FZ30, the extended zoom modes and Dig. zoom on manual ring.

Sometimes it seems that the guys at Panasonic and elsewhere have never actually used a camera in a professional way and with professional needs!
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:02 AM   #14

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
There are some lacks which one can deal with knowing that only much improved or more expensive technologies could avoid.

Instead when we have to do with functionalities like the ones evidenced in the first post here, they can make you become very angry: because it would have been very easy to make things much more comfortable.
There is no problem to add one more button or more functions to a single button.
Which is nothing of great cost.

FZ10/20/30 can adjust the 2-10 sec autoshot with left pad direction, yet you have to go into the menus to change ISO or Focus/metering type, or, in the case of FZ30, the extended zoom modes and Dig. zoom on manual ring.

Sometimes it seems that the guys at Panasonic and elsewhere have never actually used a camera in a professional way and with professional needs!
I know there's likely more than a grain of truth in what you all say about things that could be better in the FZ 30, but I guess I'm just too thrilled to be able to get what I am getting out of this baby to even notice any shortcomings. You should let me send you my 5MP Dimage 7i which I shot 50,000 plus pics with in over three years. I ought to be nominated for sainthood for that pergatory! This is pure digital heaven as best as I can describe it. Wow...I practically sleep with that thing...er...not Q U I T E....but, it's just that after using that tin can for so long this is just pure unadulterated joy and It'll be a freezing cold day in the middle east when I say something negative about it.:lol: Best regards and if you read this Nancy, keep up the good work, your points of view are always so spirited and well meaning I'm sure everyone enjoys your posts as much as I do.

Kd
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:22 AM   #15

Thanx Kenneth, nice 2 know I am appreciated. And I am just try to be honest, and I am not denying the amazing technological achievement of this camera. I do know that Panasonic reads these forums so I think it is important to start off a subject where they can see that we have "suggestions", or strong opinions or critiques of the camera, b/c u know that is how they are going to improve on the FZ30 and as Narmer has postulated, the guys at Panasonic are probably all tecchies, never really shooting with the camera other than for their testing purposes. It is we, the people (in order to form a more perfect union...??? - sorry, tangent) who really use the camera. And Kenneth from what you describe, make sure your camera consents (I think there is a button in the menu or somethin). You know I am just joking. I love you guys and this camera!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:26 PM   #16

KennethD wrote:
Quote:
You should let me send you my 5MP Dimage 7i which I shot 50,000 plus pics with in over three years. I ought to be nominated for sainthood for that pergatory!
Kenneth - I have used a 5MP Dimage 7 for nearly 4 years now. My new FZ30 should arrive on Tuesday - looking forward to photo heaven!

Cheers, Chris
wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 1:18 AM   #17

wakeman wrote:
Quote:
KennethD wrote:
Quote:
You should let me send you my 5MP Dimage 7i which I shot 50,000 plus pics with in over three years. I ought to be nominated for sainthood for that pergatory!
Kenneth - I have used a 5MP Dimage 7 for nearly 4 years now. My new FZ30 should arrive on Tuesday - looking forward to photo heaven!

Cheers, Chris
Every bit of good news helps...! I advise you to do the mandatory package check, including a good inspection of the camera itself, then charge the batt...take a quick look at the menu selections and go find something nice to shoot. Hopefully you'll have a nice sunny day, start with auto everything for a dozen shots then just cruise thru all the settings. When you note which shots are ones which would really stretch the 7i, and see how the 30 handles them...you're gonna flip. Congratulations...W A K E M A N ! ! ! ! Best regards,

KennethD

Old Oct 22, 2005, 3:41 PM   #18

Kenneth - the fz30 arrived this morning (Sat) a nice surprise. I've spent a lot of time with it and my head in the manual. Weather wasn't great today and I had other commitmentsbut I've got a few really nice shots already printed at A4. Yes, great improvement on the Dimage. My son picked up the cam and was wowed by the clear LCD before he'd even shot anything. Looking forward to extensive testing this week as I've got a week's holiday. (I ordered the cam last week specifically so I would have time to test it this week while I wasn't at work).

Will hopefully post some of my better efforts in a few days. Thanks to you and others for all your posts which were instrumental in my decision to buy the fz30.

Cheers, Chris
Old Oct 22, 2005, 3:58 PM   #19

Chris, Glad to see you made the plunge! As Kenneth said your going to love it! I've taken over 2000 pictures now in the one month that I've had mine. Took 300 this morning at Grandsons T-ball game! Enjoy and be sure to post some shots ! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 6:15 PM   #20

Decided to do a few comparison shots this eve - fz30 vs dimage 7, as you suggested. Limited subject matter - stick insects with flash, anyone? Got several good ones with fz30, and nothing with dimage. This camera is awesome!

Chris

Attached Images