Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:05 PM   #1

Hi,I'm very new at this and am just learning to dive into the world of manual exposure.* I noticed that most instructional material makes reference to f16, f22 and higher.* My FZ20 only goes to F8.* Is my F8 the same as a fancy dig SLR's f8 or is it scaled to be equal to something higher?* Another way to word that is, can I not reach that small of an aperture as a dig slr?thanksJohn
johnandscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 3:46 PM   #2

I don't know correctly, but as far as my experience goes I think you can't compare DSLR's Aperture stops with compact camera's apertures. Yes they do mean the same thing an they ARE the same thing (aperture is aperture in every camera), BUT compact cameras has more DOF (depth of Field) than DSLR (probably someone wiser will explain that more correctly), so in reality F8 on compact camera will have much more DOF than F8 on DSLR.
My opinion that F8 on FZ20 is aproximately like f16-f20 on DSLR (or maybee less)
I hope you understand what I mean :lol:
CerambyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 6:56 PM   #3

I may be completely wrong but I remember reading that it is all related to the crop factor. The crop factor being the ratio of the sensor size to that of a 35mm film. With the panasonic having such a small sensor the crop factor is somewhere in the range of 5-6 compared with ~1.5 for most d-SLR cameras, this means that to compare the aperture with the SLR you need to multiply it by the crop factor, ie f2.8 on the pana has the same DOF as ~f15 on a full frame dSLR, f8 is ~44. This is why it is near impossible to use DOF creatively in small sensor digicams as the DOF even at the largest aperture is huge.
Of course this also means that you have a large DOF which can be a plus in certain situations ie Macro.
Hope this helps, I think it is right but if not someone correct me.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 3:49 PM   #4

So yes, you guys are correct.

I just found it in a book on exposure that I am reading. The apertures are not the same for the two types of cameras and apparently F8 to me is something very high to someone with a dslr... something like F40 something or higher. My F2.8 is something like a dslr F16.

(my numbers may be off b/c i'm going off memory)

thanks guys

John
johnandscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:51 AM   #5

The size of an f/8 aperture is exactly that, ie the focal length divided by 8. This is why the higher the f stop number, the smaller the aperture. An f/8 aperture on a 50mm lens, typical for an SLR, is just over 6mm diameter. The equivalent focal length of the lens on an FZ10 is only about 9mm (6mm=35mm) so the f/8 aperture is just over 1mm in diameter. No wonder there is no smaller aperture.* ** *Regards
chinaman is offline   Reply With Quote