Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:33 PM   #1

Attached are some photos I took of water splashing into a bowl. Used the FZ20 on shutter priority at various shutter speeds. Comments, critiques, etc. are welcomed.

This first one was converted to b&w and a blue effect was added. Settings: ISO 100; aperture 2.8; shutter 1/125, focal length 96mm.
Attached Images

LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:36 PM   #2

This one has just been cropped and slightly sharpened. As you can see, the bowl contains a variety of colored stones. Settings were the same as the previous one. Actually, I think the previous is a tighter crop of this one.
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:38 PM   #3

I played with the colors on this one. These splash shots lend themselves to creative treatments because they are inherently abstract.

Settings same as previous two.
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:39 PM   #4

Last one, I promise (for now, anyway). Settings: ISO 100; aperture 2.8; shutter 1/500; focal length 90.

This one was converted to b&w and a slightly blue color effect was added.
Attached Images

Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:54 PM   #5

Looks like you are off to a good start. I like the second and third best. Look forward to seeing some of your next attempts. I would like to try but don't think I would have the patients.
tcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:17 PM   #6

Ladyhawk, You have certainly created some very interesting images. I like the adding of the blue tone. How did you manage to keep your lens dry? :-)
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:37 AM   #7

Tiger98:

Regarding how I kept the camera dry: I had the camera on a tripod fairly close to the bowl but far enough back to keep most of the water away from the camera. I used zoom (3x, I think) to get close to the subject. I also have a skylight filter that is permanently mounted on the camera to protect the lens. I did notice one water drop on the filter when I was finished, but that was easily wiped away with lens tissue. Also, I controlled the water flow by just sprinkling a little bit from my finger tips into the bowl. My 15-year-old son (who thinks this is a slightly crazy but interesting idea) suggested that I should drop one of the pebbles in to create more (and better, in his opinion) ripples and splashes. I may give that a try, but I'll probably have to move the camera back a bit and use more zoom (which means I have to get more light on the subject. . .).
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:47 AM   #8

I like #2 and #3 best!
It is a good excercise, thanks for sharing!
sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:54 PM   #9

LadyHawk, Thanks for the followup info on keeping camera dry! Check out the web page I've posted below. This guy has got some awesome water splash pictures. Besure to look at all his pictures, below the gallery icons you'll see "previous 24" and "next 24". You can click on the small icons to enlarge. I think it will fuel your imagination! Let me know what you think. Jim

http://dodongo.deviantart.com/galler...&offset=96
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 3:18 PM   #10

Jim:

WOW! What a great gallery! He has tons of gorgeous photos. I am thoroughly awed and humbled when I see such creativity. And I always think, "why didn't I think of that?" Thanks for the link. Another nice gallery, the one that actually got me interested in this stuff, is http://www.liquidsculpture.com.