Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 18, 2005, 12:59 PM   #1

I purchased my FZ 3 about a year ago and took some great pics on a trip to New Zealand and South Sea Islands. I would like to know if the FZ 5 is a significant upgrade warranting the price to upgrade. Should the FZ 30 enter into my decision?

I will be using the camera for a trip to Europe next year and for my grandsons football games.

Thanks,

Jim

greyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 2:40 PM   #2

A similar question crosses my mind - I bought a Canon S1IS about a year ago, & like you, I'm quite pleased with it - but on the other hand if I were buying a new camera today, I think I'd prefer the FZ5. I like the Leica lens & judging by the sample pictures that Steve's posted, the FZ5 gives better resolution than the S1IS and compares even better if you look at the FZ3 samples.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:48 PM   #3

Greyguy,

As a fellow FZ3 owner I also had these thoughts cross my mind. I decided that I will stick with my 3 for a while. Here is my reasoning. First and foremost, I have yet to exceed the capabilities of my FZ3. Moving to the 5 or 30 will not make me a better photographer. However, continuing to work with a camera that I have become familiar with will. Granted the 5 and 30 do have some features that surpass the FZ3 but I don't find them compelling for the photo work you mentioned. Most of my vacation pics and certainly your football game pics will be outside. The FZ3 should do very well for these. In a few years when even more compelling cameras are on the market maybe I'll be ready to jump.

Mostly you need to ask yourself, what will the FZ5 or 30 do for me that the FZ3 will not? Then decide if it's worth the money. I would not move up just for the higher MP count.

Good luck.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:52 PM   #4

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:

Greyguy,

As a fellow FZ3 owner I also had these thoughts cross my mind. I decided that I will stick with my 3 for a while. Here is my reasoning. First and foremost, I have yet to exceed the capabilities of my FZ3. Moving to the 5 or 30 will not make me a better photographer. However, continuing to work with a camera that I have become familiar with will. Granted the 5 and 30 do have some features that surpass the FZ3 but I don't find them compelling for the photo work you mentioned. Most of my vacation pics and certainly your football game pics will be outside. The FZ3 should do very well for these. In a few years when even more compelling cameras are on the market maybe I'll be ready to jump.

Mostly you need to ask yourself, what will the FZ5 or 30 do for me that the FZ3 will not? Then decide if it's worth the money. I would not move up just for the higher MP count.

Good luck.

-Brett

I agree completely with this. I have an FZ3 and considered the FZ5 but could not justify the changes to the FZ5 as being significant enough for me to swap. If you're really set on an upgrade then I'd really start looking at the FZ30 or other camera's rather than the small (IMO) upgrade to the FZ5.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 3:07 PM   #5

I agree with Brett and Troy. I've had the FZ1v2 for over a year and am still learning and experimenting with it in order to improve my photography skills.I've come to the conclusion that there'sno need to move up to another camerawhen I'm having such fun with the FZ1v2!
bejoweth is offline   Reply With Quote