Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:27 PM   #1
jcr

Anyone knows if FZ30 got back the capability of IR photo ? can anyone that has an FZ30do the the TV remote test and post results ?

If negative can anyone post the best camera(s) for doing it ? I did already search for FZ1 on ebay on two occasions, but with no luck, neither for epson 850z
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:14 PM   #2

You should be able to buy a IR filter for the FZ30 online. I have seen several IR pics post onthis Panasonic site, utilizing the FZ20. I do believe the FZ30 is already threaded to accept a filter, but check the features/specifications first! Good luck,...and happy shootin'!
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:31 PM   #3

Requires some long shutter speeds; ~3sec. For some shots using the fz30 and 55mm hoya r72 ir filter see http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15200647

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:35 AM   #4
jcr

thanks fmoore, that was exactly the kind of info I was searching. Ii've been away from this forum for professional reasons, but I'm back
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:32 AM   #5

While the shots at that dpreview link do indicate that the fz30 is somewhat ir sensitive, it's notnearly as ir sensitive as the fz1 and, as mentioned, the shutter speeds necessary will require a tripod. With the fz1 you can get good ir at 1/20s which is fast enough for handheld. Blurring resulting from wind (even a slight breeze) in the foliage increases with longer shutter speeds as well.

The 2mp olympus c2100 (original "uzi") is even more ir sensitve than the fz1 allowing for shutter speeds around 1/60s. The c2100 also has image stabilization so handheld is a breeze.

Another good ir candidate is the sony 5mp dsc-f707/717 which has a strong internal ir blocker that is removed in nightshot mode.See http://www.pbase.com/hpb/ir
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:05 PM   #6
jcr

Humm...:roll:thinking on buying a used one just for IR...I've seen spectacular shoots taken on IR, and can't wait to see some (even not so good...)by my hand...
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:54 PM   #7

The Epson 850Z has one of the highest sensitivities for IR. It doesn't have the image stabilization but takes good images. There is a site online that tells how sensitive different cameras are to IR frequencies, but I can't remember the name. It also tells how to modifiy some models to make them 'IR ready'. A search will give you a wealth of info on the subject. It is different and a lot of fun to play with.

Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote